starting problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting problems

hi guys.. new here.. with an '02 600...

it seems that it doesn't want to turn over... as i'm trying, it's just clicks and nothing happens..

maybe i'm thinking either starter or a bad battery? new to the bikes, but know a couple of things about cars...

Clicks and nothing means the battery is too weak to spin up the starter. The clicks you hear mean it has enough juice to throw the starter solenoid.

(A) Test the battery voltage. Should be at least 12.7 between the poles. If not, charge and retest. Still not 12.7? Replace.
    (B) After charging, leave sit out of the bike for 12 hours and recheck voltage. If the voltage fell at all between the time you took it off the charger and the second test, replace it.

Best replacement is a YTZ14S, although they are quite pricey. About 30% more juice and 100% more starting crank amps than the stock battery.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sorry, forgot to put; I had it on a battery tender to charge it up.. and still nothing happened..

Thought it could have been the battery and was going to try that, but figured I'd ask first..

Thanks..

Comment

does your tender have a engine start up feature? try turning that on and give it a whirl.

If that fails your solenoid is probablly bad, try jumping it with a screw driver over the terminals, only for a quick second tho, just to get the engine to whirl a couple times.

Comment

BatteryTender brand battery chargers don't have an engine-start feature, nor does any other battery charger suitable for a battery as small as a motorcycle battery.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

OK... Changed the battery and she is doing the same thing.. click, but ONLY when it is in neutral, any other gear I try to start the bike in, I get nothing... No sound, nothing..

Comment

Have you tried jumping the terminals on the solenoid as was suggested earlier?
              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

No, haven't had much time to mess with it other than giving the battery a shot. but, that's next on the list to do.

Comment

Working...
                X