X

2001 gsx600f starting problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 gsx600f starting problem

Hi I just recently bought a 2001 gsxf600 project bike from a friend..it has a new engine installed but ill not start...it doesn't have the airbox on it ..will this keep it from starting?..another thing I tried to do to get it started and it was working was covering each throttle body wile hitting the starter and it would want to start but wouldn't stay on...kinda long but if anyone has advice I'd appreciate it...tjanks

Put the airbox and a filter on. CV carbs don't like being without them unless setup for it. Are you choking it at all with the choke lever?

Comment

Ok well the bike came with aftermarket k&n filters but still wouldn't start ...no I didn't try choking it either..maybe once but still didn't do anything ...I've ordered a used airbox complete and as soon as it gets here ill try ...wat other things can keep it from starting?..I noticed the Carb boots are in bad shape too..but I ordered them also ..dnt know wat else to look for

Comment

Clean the carbs... Might as well while you wait.

Probably the issues anyways.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Clean the carbs... Might as well while you wait.

Probably the issues anyways.

Krey

I'm with him!
          Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Get rid of the K&N
            If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo8888 View Post
              ..it has a new engine installed...
              Rebuilt or from another bike?

If it's rebuilt, is it timed correctly? both at the crank and the cams...

..but [w]ill not start...
              Does it have;
              1. Fuel
              2. Spark ( a new or known good battery is a must )

+100 what Krey said, clean the carbs and 05RedKat said, put the airbox back in. The stock filter is you best bet.. loose the K&n's
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I got an original airbox coming..how would I go about cleaning the carbs?..and I've heard of a 'Carb sync'...how hard is it to do myself? ..thanks for tha help

The engine wasnt brand new but out of another bike complete..but I think the carbs are the original ones...
                Last edited by gordo8888; 09-13-2011, 11:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I got an original airbox coming..how would I go about cleaning the carbs?..and I've heard of a 'Carb sync'...how hard is it to do myself? ..thanks for tha help

The engine wasnt brand new but out of another bike complete..but I think the carbs are the original ones...
                  Reading this before working on your carbs is some of the best time you can spend. Seriously. It will tell you how to clean them, take them apart, put them back together, etc.

There is a PDF with pictures if you want to download it there.

Comment

So I,found something interesting and kinda dissapointing today...my original airbox came in and while attempting to,put it on it was giving me a hard time ..I took off the full carbs together to try to put them on aside of tha bike and ..the carbs are acouple millimeters bigger..dnt know wat size engine they came off of and I dnt know how to find out...can the bike still run with bigger/non original carbs?...how can I find out wat bike they came from?...thanks again..05redkat600 that PDF really helps tons..but now there's this..

Comment

So I,found something interesting and kinda dissapointing today...my original airbox came in and while attempting to,put it on it was giving me a hard time ..I took off the full carbs together to try to put them on aside of tha bike and ..the carbs are acouple millimeters bigger..dnt know wat size engine they came off of and I dnt know how to find out...can the bike still run with bigger/non original carbs?...how can I find out wat bike they came from?...thanks again..05redkat600 that PDF really helps tons..but now there's this..

Measure the engine side ports on the carbs and give the specific mm diameter.

Pics of the carbs from multiple angles that are clear and close would help alot as well.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

There should be some numbers stamped on the carbs somewhere.....it won't run well with non-original carbs. Pics are worth a thousand words, btw.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there guna end up being 750 katana carbs...if anyone is around the Austin TX area and has gsx600f good carbs forsale or wants to trade for.mine..I'd be able to get them...pm me if you got anything for this bike..2001 gsx600f...thanks

Comment

Yes, the 750 carbs are bigger than the 600 in diameter.

Check the side of the engine for a stamp saying either it's a 600cc or 750cc. Actually it's a few cc less than those numbers, but you get the idea.
                            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

My engine is a 600 forsure...I also noticed that the Carb boots were opened up to make them fit..but I have different original good boots for it...now I just need the right carbs

Comment

Working...
                              X