X

My New Dilemma

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Dilemma

I had everything running great after tuning/syncing the carbs, until I realized that my spark plugs needed cleaning/replacing. After letting the bike sit over the weekend, Header #4 is not firing. I have cleaned this carb about 4 times now, and am wondering if there are any other problems that would make this not be firing (the spark plug IS getting spark). The only thing I can think is that it's the pilot circuit? I have cleaned and cleaned but obviously I am missing something.....funny thing is I know it's probably a little tiny something that is clogging it up.

Any suggestions?

One more thing: Everytime I take out the A/F screw, it doesn't come out in one whole piece, the rubber O-ring and other little metal ring get left behind, and I have to dig those out and put back on the screw. They stay on the screw fine when out, but come off when I remove...is this an issue?

Thanks for any response, I'm going to try and ride this weekend!
    "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
    Chris
    graphic designer | drummer
    2002 Katana 600
    Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Originally posted by decdrummer View Post
    I had everything running great after tuning/syncing the carbs, until I realized that my spark plugs needed cleaning/replacing. After letting the bike sit over the weekend, Header #4 is not firing. I have cleaned this carb about 4 times now, and am wondering if there are any other problems that would make this not be firing (the spark plug IS getting spark). The only thing I can think is that it's the pilot circuit? I have cleaned and cleaned but obviously I am missing something.....funny thing is I know it's probably a little tiny something that is clogging it up.

Any suggestions?

One more thing: Everytime I take out the A/F screw, it doesn't come out in one whole piece, the rubber O-ring and other little metal ring get left behind, and I have to dig those out and put back on the screw. They stay on the screw fine when out, but come off when I remove...is this an issue?

Thanks for any response, I'm going to try and ride this weekend!

Have you checked to make sure the plug wire is soft and pliable for the entire length? If it is not, that may be causing the issue. The last 1" or so right where it plugs to the boots on the plugs tends to wear out from the heat. Clip 1" off so it's soft again, and then screw the boot back on. If one is bad now, check them all...

As for the a/f screws question... that is perfectly normal, and to be expected. I would be more concerned that the oring wasn't seating and would come right out.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok I'll check it out and update later. Thanks Krey!
      Chris
      2002 Katana 600
      Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

Not trying to jump a thread but while you're on the subject of parts stuck in a carb, what about the pilot jet not wanting to come out.
        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
          Not trying to jump a thread but while you're on the subject of parts stuck in a carb, what about the pilot jet not wanting to come out.

If the carbs has been neglected the aluminum will oxidize, and that can cause any type of screw/jet to get stuck. Use some penetrating oil and soak it. If that doesn't work, then try dipping the carb first to help remove/clean it as much as possible, then remove residuals with carb spary, air dry/blow dry with compressed air, then back to soaking the jet with penetrating oil.

Make sure you use the proper size screw driver that just fits in the slot. Smaller tips will break the jet.

If the jet has already been damaged, use an ezout or screw extractor to remove it. I'd still soak it and such to make it easier.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Check compression in hole #4.

I bought a basket case and got burned where all the shims were mixed up and the valve wasn't closing. When I figured that out, I gave up on the carbs, then went back to them after I got that fixed.

And, I have learned that "cleaning the carbs" is more an expression than a statement... Like "I went to town today", the person could have gone anywhere and done anything, it's too ambiguous. Did the emulsion tubes come out and all the passages get blown out, did the carbs get soaked for a duration to loosen all the crud before a thorough cleaning?

Comment

I broke a pilot jet off about a month ago, PITA!!! Held up my entire bike for days, so take your time getting it out!

The carbs have been soaked twice overnight in Berryman's chem dip, I have 4 brand new pilot jets, new O-rings, new spark plugs. However, it hasn't soaked since having the A/F screw caps removed, but the A/F screws have been taken out and their passages cleaned with carb cleaner spray.
              Last edited by decdrummer; 05-03-2011, 09:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Chris
              2002 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
              X