X

What tires will fit on a 02 kat 600?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tires will fit on a 02 kat 600?

I have done a search but found the results to be less than helpful, I need new tires, my front is cupped and is getting low on tread. I want to go with the Dunlop Qualifiers they have the front size. 120/70 but do not have the rear 150/70?? my question is will a 160/60 fit on my rear without making to much of a difference? Thanks in advance

Sorry NEWB ?

Aaron
    Aaron
    ImagineAuto Inc.
    [email protected]
    Porsche, Audi, VW Performance and Service

short answer yes it will you have a 98+ model it have a 4.5 inch rear rim 160 size tire

Comment

sounds good man, Yes i have an 02 600

Thanks
      Aaron
      ImagineAuto Inc.
      [email protected]

Comment

long answer...

read the post by cyberpoet. extremely helpful.

Long Live the D

Comment

again thanks.

With these tires i should be able to go alot quicker around the twisties!!
          Aaron
          ImagineAuto Inc.
          [email protected]

Comment

If you're looking to go quicker through the twisties, I'd try a 150/60ZR17 . The 150/60 basically has a shorter sidewall than the 150/70 which gives the tire a higher crown. ..... Higher Crown=more room to lean... now, this will make the handling a bit quicker... your bike will want to lean a bit easier than normal... and, it may be a good idea to go up another click on the rear suspension.... just to be sure you don't drag anything going around the twisties.
            Nothin like watchin the sparks fly off the footpegs...

Comment

Originally posted by katcurvincorners
              If you're looking to go quicker through the twisties, I'd try a 150/60ZR17 . The 150/60 basically has a shorter sidewall than the 150/70 which gives the tire a higher crown. ..... Higher Crown=more room to lean... now, this will make the handling a bit quicker... your bike will want to lean a bit easier than normal... and, it may be a good idea to go up another click on the rear suspension.... just to be sure you don't drag anything going around the twisties.
              I feel I need to correct you:

Sidewall height differences within a specific brand & tire type does not change crown angle when used with rims intended for that tire width. In other words, a 150/70 is not any less crowned (nor any more crowned) than a 150/60 when you are comparing tire X to tire X. The only difference is that the sidewall height is shorter (in this case by 10%, or 15mm), which means the tires will suck up less of the bumps before the suspension gets involved (good for a flat clean surface like a track, but generally negatively beneficial on most public roads). In theory, a shorter sidewall will also add a bit more lateral stability, but with modern Z-rated radials from the major players, this isn't a serious concern.

Personally, I don't like the Dunlops on the Kats, but that's just me and my experiences with the 205's and 207's... let us know what you think of the Qualifiers (which I haven't run before).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyberpoet - I agree with your point, and I know how the aspect ratio of a tire works, however, with tire manufacturers, not all companies or even models of tires conform to the same size standards. Take for example, the Dunlop 402 (The 130/90-16 made for HD) measured width of this tire is 4.2 inches. Now, move to the Dunlop 404, another 130/90-16 this tire's measured width is 5.1 inches. Same sizes written on the sidewall, but a completely different tire in all catagories. We must also remember to take load rating and such things into effect. However the point I should have made in my first post, is that we are talking about replacing a tire on a bike with another sized tire that is not the OE sized tire. My point being, with a 150/60ZR17 your sidewall won't be hanging way off of the side of the rim comparitively to a 160. Since the tire won't be hanging off the rim, the sidewall will have a bit more stiffness to it, and will hold back the tread surface from flexing under pressure.
                Nothin like watchin the sparks fly off the footpegs...

Comment

Comparing a Dunlop 402 to a 404 is not comparing tire X to tire X, but tire X to tire Y. When I said tire X to tire X, I mean comparing same-brand and -make tire (i.e. - a Dunlop 407 to a Dunlop 407, Metzeler Z6 to a Metzeler Z6, etc).

Meanwhile, the smallest rear size the Qualifiers he wants are available in are a 160/60ZR17, so your suggestion is moot either way.

EDIT: I explained in extreme details to KatCurvinCorners in PM's why his 150/60 recommendation was flawed. I'll repost the critical part I failed to list here previously: a 150/60 will lose 15mm of tire height compared to a 150/70, meaning the bike will touch down much earlier and lose a lot of ground clearance.

PS - having read the marketing material, I'll expect the Qualifers to last all of about 2500 miles on a Kat at the most before they "go off" (scallop, wear away, etc).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Michelin Pilot Powers are awesome tires too. I am surprised they weren't mentioned yet. 160/60 fits very well. I am very pleased with mine.
                    -Stephen

the future's uncertain, and the end is always near - The Doors

Comment

I want something that will last but i need something better then the Crap-a-dam i have now!
                      Aaron
                      ImagineAuto Inc.
                      [email protected]

Comment

They say with only some spirited driving and mostly commuting you can get 6k miles - 8k miles out of the rear and 3k - 5k out of the front. Obviously if you are tearing up the twistys this will decrease, but the grip is amazing. Only being on 2 wheels I'm willing to sacrifice a couple thousand miles of wear for grip. That's just my opinion though.

CyberPoet recommends the Metzler MEZ6's on his upgrade page. Those will give you a little more use. But you'll give up some stickiness. Do yourself a favor if you haven't already and read through this.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say thanks again CyberPoet for contributing all your knowledge and experience. It does not go unappreciated.
                        -Stephen

the future's uncertain, and the end is always near - The Doors

Comment

Originally posted by stb000013
                          Michelin Pilot Powers are awesome tires too. I am surprised they weren't mentioned yet. 160/60 fits very well. I am very pleased with mine.
                          the pilots are great tires and from what I have seen first hand, and others who have them and from research they wear quite well too.

Comment

Working...
                          X