Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Need advice, please...chain and sprockets..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice, please...chain and sprockets..

I have a 2000 katana 600. It needs a chain and sprockets since the chain shows minimal rust and everything is original with 18 k miles. I have been researching and would like to get an oem chain and sprocket (budget man here) but would like to get more low end and acceleration power. I read I can get a front drive sprocket with one less tooth???

Anyway...I want more low end/acceleration power since I need to replace everything anyway....what package/kit (sprockets and chain) should I purchase, please? Thanks!

Dont go down in the front, go up in the back. Going down a tooth in the front puts excess stress on the chain and sprocket both. You can go to gearingcommander.com and look at how the gear ratios will effect rpm and speed through the different gears.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

+1 keep in mind chain length will change with the sprocket size: I.E. larger sprocket longer chain. There is no larger kits per say for specific gear ratios on a specific bike. It's all pieced together.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Hmmm....I went to gearing commander and it looks like my stock chain and sprocket (15/47) set-up has the best numbers....much better then 15/48 or 15/49. I guess I will just stick with stock and go O.E.M. then ($80 compared to $200).....nice!! Any thoughts?

Comment

More grunt less speed, more speed less grunt. Can't have both with a Kat anyway...
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

True. Its nice when your a 33 year old adult (kinda) and a ripped up 143 pound boxer.....that should make up for the heavier bike and a little less power! I used to run by many riders on better bikes on my 93 kat! haha No lie! believe it...or not! be well!

Comment

Working...
            X