How fast is too slow

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How fast is too slow

Greetings,

I recently bought a 2005 Katana GSX F 750cc. This is an oil / air cooled bike. How slow can i go with out overheating the engine?

Regards..

Depends entirely on outside temp. If it's middle if winter and -30...probably leave it parked and running for half an hour. 110 in the middle of summer, probably going to be wanting at least 30mph.

I've been riding for sustained amounts if time in 100+ temps at freeway speeds with no issues. Around town for 20 minutes with stop/go at those same temps and the bike'll start running rough.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks for the insight...

Comment

use full synthetic engine oil
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

+1

Also when warming the bike up, don't let it sit idling for more than 10 mins. It will fry in that amount of time. If you have to for whatever reason, put a fan in front of it.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks much for the advice...

Comment

Most of the air cooled bikes will start to ping a little bit when they are getting too warm. I usually find that I start getting uncomfortable as well. 20-25mph is usually enough.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Not sure the traffic pattern in Trinidad, but here in NYC, my 99 GSX F 750 get stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the summer time when temperature could be in 40+ degree C, for 25-35 minutes, while moving at speed below 20km/h through the tunnels between NY and NYC.. I have yet to stop the engine or melt the body pannels.

Comment

NYC at 40C seems farfetched....

In Summer in Atlanta, it'll start running hot any time it gets around 33C ....in stop and go, it can be very uncomfortable being in close proximity to the bike. (though nothing has over heated or fried) .

I notice shifting becomes a struggle for the rest of the day even when it cools down...

though the bright news is it always starts up right away when it's hot lol

Comment

Well, nice and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                    X