Wheel swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel swap

Hi i have an 1988 600 with the six spoke wheels, they are in bad condition
    so i have been on the look out for some 3 spoke for a while,and finally came across a rear wheel with good tire and disc from a 94 model at a bargain price.but i need to know if the barrings are the same size as i don't want to strip my chain and wheel off only to find out that i got to put it back together to go get new barrings?

Here's how you check. Go to Bike Bandit or Ron Ayers' website and go to the fische for your bike. Look up the rear wheel bearings and note the size. It should be three numbers, in this case, 17x47x14. That translates to a 17mm inner diameter to fit a 17mm axle. Then do the same for the donor bike. In this case, 17x47x14, the same as yours with the same axle diameter. IOW, it'll fit.
    Last edited by Wild-Bill; 03-05-2013, 09:52 PM.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvo View Post
      Hi i have an 1988 600 with the six spoke wheels, they are in bad condition
      so i have been on the look out for some 3 spoke for a while,and finally came across a rear wheel with good tire and disc from a 94 model at a bargain price.but i need to know if the barrings are the same size as i don't want to strip my chain and wheel off only to find out that i got to put it back together to go get new barrings?

Both wheels use a 17mm axle, but the sprocket mounting is different I believe... might want to double check the rotor as well. Pretty sure the sprocket on the 6 spoke wheel uses 4 bolt pattern, and the 3 spoke wheel uses 5 spoke pattern.

krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Again, go to the fische.
        Looking at the fische, it looks like both wheels use a 4-bolt rotor. the 88 uses a 4-bolt sprocket and the 89-97 wheels have a 5-bolt sprocket. They both have 5 rubbers, though so the sprocket hubs should be interchangeable.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks for your help once again guys,its much appreciated

Comment

Working...
          X