X

Rf 900 wheel swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rf 900 wheel swap

Has anyone used the RF900 wheels for a swap in our big cats yet? I have a line on some really nice wheels and tires and before I invest in this (surely to upset the wife) I was curious what I might need . Any thoughts
    Peace,
    Dave F
    Maryland,USA
    '01 Flame red Aprilia Futura.... and all the non stock silliness that was surely inevitable
    '93 Suzuki Katana 1100 Stg 1 and V&H pipe...( a very cool bike!)

" A man who does not follow his dreams...
    might as well be a vegetable"
    Burt Munro

Have no idea. Avon still makes a radial (once upon a time, Michelin, Pirelli and Metzler made radials that fit the stock wheels) for the kat and I like them as they perform well and have good life.
    Now, if and when they stop making them, then I am all ears on replacement wheels!

Comment

The RF9 wheels (5.5 rear, 3.5 front) should be very very close to the earlier GSXR wheels of the same size. I've been told those work well for the swap, so I don't see too much issue with the RF being used. The most work was for the front wheel I believe.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I think the RF600 wheels (at least the front one) should be an easier fit but you may have trouble finding some. I did. The RF600 has the same size front axle and the rotors are the same replacement part number on metalgear.com.au's website. Should be a direct fit. The RF900's wheels have the radial spokes instead of the slanted ones. From what I've read that seems to mean less clearance between the spokes and calipers so you may have trouble with that.

Whatever wheels you use, take a good look at the speedo drive on the front wheel. I'm putting GSXR rims on my big Kat and discovered that the Kat speedo drive tabs have almost exactly the same OD as the wheel's tabs ID. (Thanks for the warning, KFreak!) My answer is to build an adapter ring from aluminum sheet. I'll be posting a worklog with specifics (including the drawing with dimensions) but if you get to that point PM me and I'll be glad to e-mail you the details.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Just a quick reference, the rf600 rear wheel is 4.5" rim vs the GSXR and RF900 rear wheels are 5.5" rims.

The fronts may have different hub/axles sizes, but they are all 3.5" wide.

If that matters to you.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X