X

shocks ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shocks ?

ok im lookin for a new set of performance shocks for my 00 kat 600 bec ive fiddled and faught over the stock ones and cant adjust em enough to feel any better unless im doin it wrong but i turn the spanner at the bottom and cant tell a difference so if anyone has any ideas or knows of some better aftermarket shocks please let me know

The stock shock is a weak item, and with age it only gets worse. I don't know who you'd go to in Germany, but any decent suspension company should be able to fix you up with a better shock (Ohlins used to make a rear shock for them if you can find one). I'd recommend getting one from our member Tmod here on the site, but with the Euro like it is, I don't know how that would work for you....
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I didn't want to pay for an Öhlins shock, since they tend to be quite expensive. Instead I fitted a GSXR K4 shock, not in the same league as Öhlins, but still way better than a tired stock unit. Move the battery box a few cm backwards and make sure it clears the lower suspension joint and it fits right in. Huge improvement and more adjustments available than I need.

Comment

I know a few people have swapped in R6 shocks. They seem to have a little more adjustment than the stock Kat shocks.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Jason,

What do you weigh?
          What type or rider are you? Aggressive, Cruising?
          Do you ride 2 up at times?
          If so how much does the passenger weigh?
          How tall are you?

Tmod

Comment

Jason go with tmod on this. He did my suspension and it's amazing. His prices are also far better than competitors
            03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
            04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
            08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
            10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
            05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Tmod
              What do you weigh? 220
              What type or rider are you? Aggressive, Cruising? Cruising
              Do you ride 2 up at times? no
              How tall are you? 5'11

Comment

Originally posted by jasonleahey View Post
                Tmod
                What do you weigh? 220
                What type or rider are you? Aggressive, Cruising? Cruising
                Do you ride 2 up at times? no
                How tall are you? 5'11
                Ok with that information there is not any other stock shock that i know of that will be correct for you. What I would suggest is get a post 750 shock that has been revalved and resprung for your weight. I don't know if any suspension shops over there (if there are any) will do it though. You may want to check around and see what you can find.

Tmod

Comment

ooooohh do me now! do me ! this sounds like fun!
                  my weight is about 170 +gear i'm guessing 190 tops
                  cruising
                  yes all the time....
                  with gear 150 ish?
                  i'm 6'1.

i don't mean to thread jack but i'd like to know what he suggests.
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                    ooooohh do me now! do me ! this sounds like fun!
                    my weight is about 170 +gear i'm guessing 190 tops
                    cruising
                    yes all the time....
                    with gear 150 ish?
                    i'm 6'1.

i don't mean to thread jack but i'd like to know what he suggests.
                    Here ya go.

Ahhhh just kidding, Anyway I would suggest a GSXR1100 shock with a 1100 lb spring (It will be a compromise) and revalved.

Tmod
                    Last edited by Tmod; 07-20-2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

would you use one of the 750 kat springs and if so the older ones with the cable comming off it or the newer ones .. or would a gsxr one be good ? im not sure

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                        Here ya go.

Ahhhh just kidding, Anyway I would suggest a GSXR1100 shock with a 1100 lb spring (It will be a compromise) and revalved.

Tmod
                        How does that shock compare to a bandit 1200 stock shock for the type of riding i do?
                        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

Tmods custom 750 shocks rock!!!!! Last night I found out (and shiate my pants) on the Cherohala Skyway that my forks need some Tmod love.
                          2000 Katana 600
                          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by jasonleahey View Post
                            would you use one of the 750 kat springs and if so the older ones with the cable comming off it or the newer ones .. or would a gsxr one be good ? im not sure
                            None of the stock springs on any shock that you get from the factory will be the correct spring, What you need is a 1000 lb in spring. The post 750 shock has a reservoir and adjustable rebound and compression as well as a threaded prelaod adjuster.

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                            How does that shock compare to a bandit 1200 stock shock for the type of riding i do?
                            The 1200 Bandit shock only has 4 rebound positions and a cam preload adjuster. The GSXR 1100 has a screw type rebound adjuster with far more positions than the Bandit, It also has a remote reservoir with compression adjuster on it, They do come with a cam prelaod adjuster but with the correct spring it will work perfectly fine. The Bandit shock is about 10mm longer eye to eye so it would raise the bike about 1" more than the GSXR 1100 unit which would lift the bike 1" from stock. Also a note I found using a Bandit 1200 shock is that it hits the cushion lever. Some grind the cushoin lever and that to me is crazy, Never grind a suspension part.

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
                            Tmods custom 750 shocks rock!!!!! Last night I found out (and shiate my pants) on the Cherohala Skyway that my forks need some Tmod love.
                            Do tell more.

Tmod

Comment

like this one?

sorry also where would you get the spring if this is the right shock ?
                              Last edited by jasonleahey; 07-22-2010, 02:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X