X

Questions about exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about exhaust

Hi all, newbie kat rider here. 97 kat 600 pretty much stock. Has a jet kit (stage 1 i think) and stock exhaust. I have been reading that in order to replace the exhaust system with a nice aftermarket one, you have to get the 4 into 1 header from a post kat, as well as the oil pan and pickup. Is this absolutely necessary? Is it hard to uninstall the old one and install the new one? also, is there any aftermarket direct bolt ons? Maybe even keeping the dual exhaust, i kinda like it.

Thanks,
    Jacob.

I think you are mistaken.....The only way you have to run a different oil pan is if your running post 750 headers on a pre or something like that. (some one will chime in). If you buy a full exhaust for your 97, that is for your 97 then it should be a direct replacement. But if you are wanting to use Post headers on your pre, then yes changes must be made, the swap isn't too difficult with some tools and some basic mechanical know how.

But if you go with an after market for a PRE Kat, You shouldn't have to change anything. As far as I know....Could be wrong though, I had a Post Kat, and that was 3-4 years ago...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Unless it's a specified pre 98 exhaust, then yes you have to do the swap. Then you can run any 98+ exhaust and have access to about 100 times more options than the pre 98 bikes.

Pre 98 systems were Yoshi, Vance and Hines and D&D.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

WC is right, you shouldn't have to change anything like the pickup or pan unless you go with 98+ pipes, as for aftermarket you will just have to find a set you like, then maybe ask someone about fitment issues. The exhasut is a fairly easy and straightforward swap, and shouldn't pose any problems for you. Whatever you choose to do, good luck and keep us updated with pics.
        Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Just straight pipe it!
          Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

I'm not looking for a super expensive really nice exhaust. I don't care if its loud. I just want a direct bolt on replacement. Any recommendations for a cheap (not cheap, just inexpensive) bolt on replacement?

Thanks,
            Jacob.

edit:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=250492941330

found that in my searches. Is that a good price for an exhaust system. And more importantly is that a good exhaust system that bolts directly on? Or can they be had for less money? I like the way yoshi's sound, but couldn't find any.

Thanks,
            Jacob.
            Last edited by jacob.; 06-04-2010, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob. View Post
              I'm not looking for a super expensive really nice exhaust. I don't care if its loud. I just want a direct bolt on replacement. Any recommendations for a cheap (not cheap, just inexpensive) bolt on replacement?

Thanks,
              Jacob.

edit:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=250492941330

found that in my searches. Is that a good price for an exhaust system. And more importantly is that a good exhaust system that bolts directly on? Or can they be had for less money? I like the way yoshi's sound, but couldn't find any.

Thanks,
              Jacob.
              For that system new, yes... that is a pretty decent price.

Yes, it bolts right on with no mods. That pipe will run directly under your oil drain screw though, and reduce clearances some. If you have the stock suspension, and rail curves with a passenger (or you are over 180lbs) you WILL scrape the pipe on the road (potentially enough to drag a hole in it).

The post header/oil pan increases the clearances you have so that won't happen, and provides you with a much larger selection in exhuast cans as slip on options. This is why it's a very poplular mod.

I have 2 Kats with that V&H full system you posted... both have dents, 1 has a full fist sized hole in the connection point due to dragging on the curves.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

How much does it cost to do the swap for more clearance? And then from there, which exhaust would be the least expensive? I'll do the swap if the parts don't cost too much. it seems straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob. View Post
                  How much does it cost to do the swap for more clearance? And then from there, which exhaust would be the least expensive? I'll do the swap if the parts don't cost too much. it seems straightforward.

If you look, you can probably get the parts ( post header, oil pan, pickup) for around $100-150.00 used.

Then... you have alot of options on the cans. Ebay right has post stock cans at around $50 or so shipped, and Delkevic cans at about $175 shipped. There are other options as well as the price goes up, like D&Ds for $250.

Go to ebay... price some parts.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X