Katana of the Month - August 2008  lee3645

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > At the Track

At the Track Some Katana's see track duty. Some owners have multiple bikes. This is the place to chat about track days.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 AM   #31
ygolohcysp
Track Rider

eBay ID: theovergrowngnome

Okay, I'm getting impatient on the frame. I think I'll still make the next bends for the vertical portions and get that welded, but at that point I think I want to get things clamped together, measure and put in the inserts for where the swingarm pivot (axle?) will go. Then make a jig that I can bolt those parts of the frame to, that will also have a mount for the front axle so everything can be held together in alignment for welding the headstock. Yeah, that might mean I'm sacrificing the bearings. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, that means I need the rest of the stuff for the forks done. I've been working on the tiny bit left on the oval inserts, and have the bulk of the steering stem done. Still need to do the portion for the lower triple tree. Just got late tonight.

All the bearings lands are done, threads are done, and I've bored some 7075 aluminum for the three nuts I'll need and have the internal threads cut to make sure everything fits together. The smaller flange at the end is just a reduced flange to provide space between the bearing and the larger flange so I can get the bearing off in the future if I need to without destroying anything. The bigger part behind that is just where I'll machine the part for the lower triple.

And this is together with the upper triple tree. Even with just the one set screw, these are locked together with no play at all. I think with the nuts and flanges, there's going to be no issue.

ygolohcysp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:13 AM   #32
y2ktj
Rookie

Saw something on a car building show regarding your fiberglass question that might help. They were reshaping a fiberglass body. Basically you could use a cardboard box and fill with expanding foam Once it dried they roughed out the shape with blades, they then sanded the final shape out. They layed the glass on the foam but you could make a reusable form first. Not sure what kind of expanding foam they used but it looked like the stuff you get at the hardware store. Awesome project.
y2ktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:23 AM   #33
ygolohcysp
Track Rider

eBay ID: theovergrowngnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ktj View Post
Saw something on a car building show regarding your fiberglass question that might help. They were reshaping a fiberglass body. Basically you could use a cardboard box and fill with expanding foam Once it dried they roughed out the shape with blades, they then sanded the final shape out. They layed the glass on the foam but you could make a reusable form first. Not sure what kind of expanding foam they used but it looked like the stuff you get at the hardware store. Awesome project.
That is an awesome idea! Thank you very much for that info!
ygolohcysp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:18 AM   #34
y2ktj
Rookie

y2ktj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > At the Track