X

Swingarm conversion on gsx600f -97

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swingarm conversion on gsx600f -97

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some answers in the matter of swingarms, could i fit this one in my current bike?

Yamaha yzf-r1 - 01

-Swingarm Length - 640 mm
    -Swingarm Pivot Width - 255 mm
    -Rear wheel opening - 250 mm
    -Swingarm Pivot Bolt - 20 mm/dia
    -Wheel Axle Bolt - 28 mm/dia

My bike:

-Swingarm Length - 650 mm
    -Swingarm Pivot Width - 235 mm
    -Rear wheel opening - 225 mm
    -Swingarm Pivot Bolt - 15 mm/dia
    -Wheel Axle Bolt - 17 mm/dia

My thinking:

~Same lenght, pivothole could be drilled bigger aswell. I know i can trim down 5mm from each side inside the existing frame, that leaves 5mm to be trimmed from the swingarm. Do you guys think it will be doable or are the bearings in the way? I have dogbones and suspension. Feel free to link any build that are similair since i've tried searching for them but cant seem so find anything. I know chain is a concern but i guess this guy did it (http://www.customfighters.com/forums...t=37084&page=3) so why cant i.

If for the mechanical experience of fabricating and profit of selling the vehicle after completion, I'd say go for it.

If for any vehicle look/performance gain expectation, I'd say don't waste your time.

Comment

The issue with swapping swing arms in a kat is just about every swing arm other than the stock unit gets wide too quickly and will hit the sub frame connection and rear sets. You will need to modify the sub frame just like the guy in your link did, notice that he has completely removed the lower portion, there's just no way around it if you use a different arm. Kreyln modifies the stock kat arm to accept a wider rear wheel and tire, which is what I assume is your end goal. The rear suspension geometry, levers and shock are also hit or miss. You'd be surprised how well a kat handles with a better rear shock and refreshed front forks and a good set of tires.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Its actually just that, i already have a SM that im using so this is just a winterproject that i'll sell later on. The r1 can fit a 190/50 so thats nice. I am going to mod my subframe aswell so im not that bothered about that.

Im actually going to give this one a shot! Thanks guys.

Comment

Do it and take pics!

Comment

A project is good. You'll gain a lot of experience doing something very few have done. However, if you're expecting your mod to raise the value when it comes time to sell it, it won't. It's still a Katana man. With that said, I wish you luck. If you do it right, it will look pretty cool.

Comment

Just a heads up. Im going to try similair fairings as this guy (http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124223&page=4) since its the only one i've seen who doesnt look like garbage lol. Ill prolly make a thread later on when i've gathered all the pics.

Edit: The value will be higher when im done since i bought the bike for 1/3 of the market price and the bike is one of the few sportbikes that you are allowed to ride on A2 in Sweden so i think its gonna have some appeal to it. Thanks for all the support so far, u guys are cool!
              Last edited by Emiledstrom; 10-09-2015, 06:54 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Mechanics special!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Emiledstrom View Post
                  Just a heads up. Im going to try similair fairings as this guy (http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124223&page=4) since its the only one i've seen who doesnt look like garbage lol. Ill prolly make a thread later on when i've gathered all the pics.

Edit: The value will be higher when im done since i bought the bike for 1/3 of the market price and the bike is one of the few sportbikes that you are allowed to ride on A2 in Sweden so i think its gonna have some appeal to it. Thanks for all the support so far, u guys are cool!
                  ? No, it won't. Just Because you got it cheap doesn't change the value of the bike. Book value is around what you'll get unless someone really likes what you've done.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                    ? No, it won't. Just Because you got it cheap doesn't change the value of the bike. Book value is around what you'll get unless someone really likes what you've done.
                    Sweden is different, I believe he was saying this mod would move the bike to a different class which allows access to different more fun roads. And hence makes the bike more desirable.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I see what you're saying. I don't see how a swing arm would change the class of bike. Less weight, I could see. Hp to # ratio would change that.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The thing is that there arent alot of sportbikes that can be ridden with a A2 license in Sweden. Increasing the hp or lowering the weight does not change anything since you are allowed to have a maximum of 35kw on the A2 bikes and the bike cant go over 0.2 kw/kg.

Comment

A Katana isn't a sportbike.

Comment

Its as close to a sportbike as i can get when following the rules so.. its kinda meh but its fine.

Comment

Swapping parts doesn't change the class of bike it is.. it's the lipstick on a pig scenario, a Kat will always be a sport-touring bike, and I doubt they only allow certain bikes on certain roads.
                              If custom bikes sold for what was put into them, you wouldn't see the adds for $65k (invested) choppers being sold for $25k or less.
                              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                              X