Why does my 93 have a 110/80?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my 93 have a 110/80?

Hi folks,

I just bought my bike, a molested '93 600, and am going about getting it counseling and fixing all of its issues. One of which is tires.

According to this site and others, my 1993 should have a 120/70 in the front stock. However, it has a 110/80:

This bike has been in at least one accident, as evidenced by scraping on the front master cylinder assy, etc. I believe the older bikes had a narrower front tire? So is it likely that the PO replaced the stock _________ with an older ___________ and as a result, smaller tire?

If that is the case, what could've been replaced? Are the forks different? Wheel? Brakes? I want the wider 120/70 if it is easy to get; additionally my current forks are leaking, so......

Any input would be greatly appreciated

That's the factory size, 120/70/17 is the recommended replacement size.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Really? So the Kat indeed came with a 110/80?

Some website has its numbers wrong then; it listed the 88 and 89 as having 110/80 stock and 90+ as 120/70 stock.

Thanks 92x. So presumably, no issues spooning a 120/70 onto this current wheel....? All Kats had the same front wheel?
      Last edited by Heeltoeclutch; 09-01-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Nope

The rear OEM size was 140/80/17 recommended 150/70/17
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-01-2015, 12:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Interesting. Thanks a lot.

Comment

You need to replace that tire before you ride on it - if the sidewall is cracking, the tire could give out.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              You need to replace that tire before you ride on it - if the sidewall is cracking, the tire could give out.
              Yes I agree shpielers thank you - the PO did not take good care of the bike and I am wondering if this tire has been on the bike since 1993. I'll have to check when I get back to it

Comment

Working...
              X