X

The Best Writing I Have Seen On Noobs and Sportbikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freebird01 View Post
    ...at some point you got to push those limits but im not at that point yet and im not to proud to say that.
    Well, don't be ashamed to say it, either.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
    Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.
    -- Proverbs 16: 18-19

Now, how appropriate is THAT?
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I love the article and yes everything stated is the "best" way, but how many of us as noobs took the advice given to us......? Its like when your parents told you would regret something later, but you did it anyway and kicked yerself in the *** later for not listening. Too bad its usually their lives that they cant get back.

(honestly, hipocrytically,........my first bike was a 1000cc Hurricane, after years of dirt bikes LMFAO)

Comment

oops...

hmm, after reading that I may just hit up my motorcycle training class again real quick, play with their 250's for a weekend (rebels or ninjas)

took the course on a 250 rebel (quite challenging for my 6'3" and 34" of that being inseam), would've been ok with some risers. drove around on a 150 cc moped for a while, now have an '89 750 I'm putting together

Just a little jump

Comment

that was a good article, alot of good points, i myself am new to riding, only been riding for a few months, my first bike is an 04 kat 750 and i will admit it probably is alittle big for me right now. although i love it to death it scares me sometimes, but ive put enough miles on that i feel comfortable riding around town on it. and i probably wont go more than a couple exits up the highway for now lol also i put over a hundred miles on it b4 i took it into traffic and i recommend all new riders to do that
          "When in doubt, throttle out."
          sigpic

Comment

I thought it was an outstanding article. I too am a noob and i own a Kat 600 as my first bike. I have been riding for less than a year and am still getting to know my bike. There is no definitive answer to what your first bike should be but as everything else in life, you should take in all the information available so you can make a conscious decision about what is right for you.

Stay Upright!

Comment

knowledge is power in this world

Comment

nice write up very helpfull
                I Make it happen

Comment

Well..the kat was my first bike...and I got it cheaper than a wrecked ninja 250.
                  I would NOT have bought an SS bike though..no matter how cheap it was.

Comment

Here in montreal quebec canada, the course have to be taken, they give us GS500 Ninja 500 and Buel 450 i think for the course.

I did the exam with the buel. i cant imagine doing the course with a 600 or 750 bike.

now i have a kat 600 i bought it at the end of the season. i test drove it and felt good on it. a little heavy but for the power difference with the buel is not that bad.

My friend brought a CBR 954 RR, 2 weeks after he crash the bike trying to do wheelie.

Comment

• It is some great information. I hate to be "that guy", but my first bike was my Kat 600. I thought it was a great first bike. Granted it is much heavier than a SS bike and uses older technology in the engine. I thought it was a great first bike. I did take the MSF class first though, so maybe that's why I think it was a good start point. I wouldn't say a brand new 600 would be a good start point though. Just my .02, oh and now I am looking into getting a Ninja 250 lol. Talk about going backwards...
                      Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

• great read for sure.

Comment

• I got my 90'600 as a starter cause I liked the way it looked and I respected the power to weight. not so much that I can instantly get into trouble, and forgiving enough that when I do forget something, or pull an idiot move on it I'm hoping it'll save my rear end from the pavment. So far I have spent more hours painting it than riding it, so here is hopin it stays pretty

Comment

• This leaves me wondering why others on another forum tried to say that my kat 600 is "a good beginner bike", like its somehow a beginner bike and nothing more.

And thats what i bought but whatever.....it's not exactly my first ride, just my.....first legal one... lol. Too late now.

Originally posted by methodicreign View Post
                            I got my 90'600 as a starter cause I liked the way it looked and I respected the power to weight. not so much that I can instantly get into trouble, and forgiving enough that when I do forget something, or pull an idiot move on it I'm hoping it'll save my rear end from the pavment. So far I have spent more hours painting it than riding it, so here is hopin it stays pretty
                            Mine had a brand new paint job on it before i got it, and i dropped it before i even bought it, and put some scratches on it. Thought the kickstand was down...almost smashed my foot too! Oh well, its just scratches, and one of them looks to be in a place that will probably get a lot more from just normal use...

I think this little story is relevant too: I'm also a trucker and in the early afternoon today, PERFECT WEATHER, sunny, on westbound I-68 in MD, milemarker 7, there was a biker laying face down on the white stripe. What used to be a nice harley about 500 feet in front of him. And a nice long stripe of rubber. Biker looked very...dead. A cop was examining him and wasn't doing much to him, which kind of leads me to my conclusion. Ambulance hadnt arrived yet. Atleast 20 minutes had passed since the collission when i got there, based on CB radio reports.

I assume it was a 4 wheeler's fault. But, you are the only one responsbile for YOU. Most people on the road couldn't care less if you die or not. Do you think maybe there was something this biker could have done to save his arse? Even if he's still alive, he might not be able to ever walk again. I've had bikers do stuff that could potentially cause my truck to end their lives as well. One time was passed on both sides almost simultaneously by two sportbikes that were street racing. You don't ever ever pass a truck on the right when the truck is at highway speed. If i have a steer tire blow out, my truck's going to do everything it can to go into a ditch. Atleast if you aren't on the shoulder you have somewhere to go.
                            Last edited by phroziac; 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• TRUE True true!
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                              Black painted seat and rear trim,
                              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

• This is so true, very well put!! Definitely something for all those looking to buy that first bike should read.
                                It's not considered cheating if it's a motorcycle, right???

2006 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                                X