Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411

Touring 411 Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
JACKAL
ummm....ya....
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmann67 View Post
That Zumo looks awesome, but $1K??? Ouch
That's why I said ignore the MSRP. You can get it for hundreds less on the net. If you are seriously looking take some time and do some surfing on different sites. Price is all over the place, and a good deal can be had.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

JACKAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
Moonrs
Katrider

I also use the Tom Tom, and used it recently on my trip from the UK to Germany. It worked great. I also extended my battery life by turning the unit off between turns; I was able to get the thing to last 8+ hours that way. By the way, since I didn't have any handlebar mounts, I used the windshield suction attachment and stuck it to my tachometer. It never moved at all.
Moonrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
FASHER
Miss Tennessee -AKA- Bubblicious

KOTM Jul 2007

I sure want one for the car....

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help
FASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #14
steves
Argh
Supporting Member

Back from the dead... I might pick up one of the Zumo 450's. No bluetooth, XM or speech to text. I think I can live with that...

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
pbrad911
Chicken Strip

I use a Delorme Earthmate PN-20 mounted with a Ram mount. The nice thing about the PN20 is it can be hand held its waterproof does marine,Topos street atlas plus it has Sat photos like google earth. It blows Garmin out of the water because I have one of them two now that just sits in the drawer.
You get softare with it so You can use your PC to program waypoints trips whatever into it. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...minisite=10020
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001S.JPG (37.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002S.JPG (39.9 KB, 106 views)
pbrad911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #16
Kat66
Tank Slapper

Magellan 3210; inexpensive and does enough to get you where you need to plus some.

http://www.magellanmaestro3210.com/

Kat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #17
DakotaKat
Rookie

eBay ID: ascrim

I'm actually kinda anti-gps. I used to have one and used it all the time, then it broke. I haven't replaced it after 2 years. There are handy and useful but I stare at computer screens all day and the gps is just another thing to take my eyes off the ride. I think Colin Fletcher (grandfather of modern backpacking) likened using gps to taking a television along (I'm paraphrasing here).

I took all the maps I need with when I flew to FLA to pick up my bike and ride it home. I changed the path en route and found I was missing Indiana. When I figured this out I wish I had a gps, badly. Then I went into "paper map and dead-reackoning mode" and figured out a solution. A little bit of the unknown made that leg the most fun and I got back on my maps with no problem. Also made a ferry crossing of the Ohio I might have avoided just because I've never done one on a bike. Very cool after I releaxed!

I'm the same way with a music player to a degree. I find that with foam ear plugs in and an open road in front of me is my little head-shrinker's couch. I call it "helmet time". However, when I'm far from home and my body and spirit are breaking I put on some Judas Priest or Fight. It's my secret weapon

DakotaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #18
h666362
Chicken Strip

Default Garmin Nuvi

I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 I use it in the car and on the bike, it works great. You can pick one up on ebay for 200.00, and it has a mp3 player built in. The Ram adapter for the bike cost another 30.00, and uses rubber pivots for any vibration. I'm very happy with it. I have used it on its own battery for 6 hours.
h666362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #19
hub
Katrider

I have a TomTom one (v. 3) that I am going to be using this weekend. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll post again after my trip. I'm planning on wiring it right in, so I don't have to worry about battery. It didn't come with a bike mount, so unless I think of something better in the next couple of days, I'll just use the suction cup.
hub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #20
DINGBAT
Katrider

GARMIN NUVI 200. So far so good. I used a mount that came with my brothers' zumo. It mounts to the brake reservoir. Was on sale for $149.00.
DINGBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411