Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411

Touring 411 Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
B-Man
Katrider

If my bars were like yours I would have tried to go the same route. For whatever reason mine is different - it is all cast as a single piece. I can't unbolt the bars like you did.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #12
KAT TOY
Miracle performer

I raised my 750 bars 1" with no other mods needed. some improvement over stock. I got my spacers from Soupys Sales. it was a lowering kit for a 'Busa. Spacers and longer bolts for $28 shipped.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #13
B-Man
Katrider

UPDATE

Well, I did a nice ride yesterday with the raised bars - home, to the Cherohala Skyway (via twisty back roads), to the Tail of the Dragon and back home again, via twisty back roads.

158 miles total in 4 hours, which included stopping for a great lunch in Tellico Plains (west end of the Skyway); stopping for gas in Robbinsville, NC (east end of the Skyway); stopping for a water and social time at Deals Gap and driving SLOOOOOW behind a TN State Trooper on the last half of the Dragon.

Without a doubt the best comfort mod I have made to date. I ordered a Corbin seat Friday so I hope the combo will prove to be what I need for comfort on a long distance trip I am planning for the future.

Last edited by B-Man; 01-23-2017 at 08:43 AM..
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:39 AM   #14
shpielers
Kat Legend

The Corbin will feel weird for a bit. It's great for long distance, but it will take some getting used to.
Sounds like a great ride.

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #15
B-Man
Katrider

Well I completed another LONG ride yesterday, with some good news to share :

The Corbin seat has proven to be AWESOME for comfort, after taking about 200 miles or so to break-in to my butt. The wife reports it is much more comfortable for her too !! While a bit pricey, it now makes all-day riding a very real possibility, coupled with the raised handlebars. My only complaint would be that I lost a small amount of under seat storage. It sat so low I had a very hard time getting it to latch and unlatch. I made a spacer out of 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar, put it under the latching seat post and that did the trick. Clicks in place like the factory seat does. The mounting studs on the seat were plenty long enough to install the flat bar so it was very easy overall.

I also bought a Shoei RF-1200 in Anthracite. I was pretty surprised on how much quieter it is than my Shoei Qwest helmet. I added the Transitions visor and can say it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!! It turned plenty dark for bright sun comfort and it is perfectly clear at night. I got the visor from Revzilla for $152 and free shipping.

FYI - North Carolina is repaving their side of the Cherohala Skyway. I rode on a fairly long section of brand new, ultra smooth asphalt and was very happy with the Michelins on the Kat.

Last edited by B-Man; 01-23-2017 at 08:43 AM..
Old 08-12-2016, 04:50 AM   #16
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Kreylyn

If you haven't already, a lithium Iron battery like shoria.... is well worth it for the power, reliability, and longevity. Plus, as a bonus, it's much smaller than the acid batteries, so you would gain some storage space.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #17
B-Man
Katrider

Thanks for the advice !! I will look into the battery...
Old 08-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #18
shpielers
Kat Legend

Transition visors are a thing??? I'm going to have to look into that.
My Corbin never really had issues latching. But I do have the passenger backrest - put some lock tire on the bolt that holds it in if you've got it. Mine was constantly vibrating loose until I did that.
shpielers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #19
B-Man
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpielers View Post
Transition visors are a thing??? I'm going to have to look into that.
Yeah, but as far as I can tell they are only available for the Shoei RF-1200 series helmets and the Bell ClickRelease series Star, Vortex, RS-1, Qualifier and Revolver helmets.

Bell Qualifier DLX Helmets come standard with a Transitions Adaptive Shield.

That's why I now have a Shoei Qwest helmet for sale...
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411