X

Ideas for engine mods

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for engine mods

I haven't finished my research yet ( cant find the post with the years and engine sizes that cams swap yet) but was wondering everybody's thoughts on this setup if i can make it work.

Precursor: i have full access to a machine shop and dyno at little to no cost depending on when i go. The bike already has a vance and hines slip on with the factory 4:1 header and a stage one factory pro jet kit and k@n filter.

mod list
    • gsxr 750 intake cam 0.340 lift as my exhuast cam
    • gsxr 1000 intake cam as my intake cam 0.348 lift
    • 813 stroker kit or 771 if cooling becomes a concern
    • Timing advancer or drill out my plate and adjust timing between 3-5 degrees depending on dino number
    • 12:1 compression if i can get by on premium lower if not

cam timing ive hear 106IN/105EX works for the gsxr guys

Thus far iv had no issues with the k@n filter ( previous owner put it on before he totaled the bike) so i probably wont get rid of it. and i heard rs6 ? carbs can be swapped over but they are around 400$ and that would blow my budget they might come later down the road

Disclaimer: I am a tinkerer i love doing work with my hands and i am getting my foot in the door in the automotive high performance world. Bikes are a hobbie and as such haven't work on the high performance side nearly as much as general maintenance, but there not dissimular from cars and ive been around them since i was born this is my second project bike and i know its not an ss bike and the suspensions is "sloppy" but i can live with that if i can have a unique and fast sport tourer that ive put together by hand.

Sorry for the long post wanted to get as much information in as possible and thank you all in advance for the help
    93 katana 750, vance and hines slip on and stage 1 jet kit, who's ready for some fun?

Welcome.

Use the Google site search, should be able to find a page with cam info pretty quickly. Surprised its not stickied or a wiki entry actually. But FYI a gsxr1000 cam won't work. 1100 yes. 1000 no. Has to be from an oil cooled motor, and have the correct number of lobes.

Also, that sloppy suspension can be made very nice. Racetech cartidge emulators, and springs proper for your weight up front, and gold valves/rebuild/resprung the shock. Worst case if $/is tight, spend 120$ for the correct springs and change the fork oil.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'd swap the engine first, start with an 1127cc motor in your frame, THEN... look at the intensive mods.

That one step will be the largest difference by far.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        I'd swap the engine first, start with an 1127cc motor in your frame, THEN... look at the intensive mods.
        That one step will be the largest difference by far.
        Krey
        Yep, that's the way to go, start from there and you'll end up with a nice healthy beast
        Last edited by Bettyswolloks; 12-12-2015, 05:33 PM.
        I'm Only 4 Fut 3, But I Look A Lot Bigger From A Distance?

Comment

Go ahead with the 750 build, you don't need to buy a 1127.
          With what you have in mind, you'll be making a lot of power.

Comment

Welcome.

Use the Google site search, should be able to find a page with cam info pretty quickly. Surprised its not stickied or a wiki entry actually. But FYI a gsxr1000 cam won't work. 1100 yes. 1000 no. Has to be from an oil cooled motor, and have the correct number of lobes.

Also, that sloppy suspension can be made very nice. Racetech cartidge emulators, and springs proper for your weight up front, and gold valves/rebuild/resprung the shock. Worst case if $/is tight, spend 120$ for the correct springs and change the fork oil.

Thanks for pointing this out (1000 vs 1100 cam) ill be looking for the post when i get out of class tonight in about 1/2 hr actually. Im still looking into how far i want to go wit the suspension and how much price for performance i can get out of different things

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
            Go ahead with the 750 build, you don't need to buy a 1127.
            With what you have in mind, you'll be making a lot of power.
            I sure hope so! Ive dug into my old klr 250 a little a few times, Still working on it though i "Sold" it to my roommate and ive been deep into a few Harley and rev tech motors with some family members a few years ago. so I think Ive got enough understanding to pull this off. Id love to be in the hp range of some older liter bikes if possible Eventually haha

Thanks for the support man!
            Last edited by pyrocop; 12-14-2015, 07:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            93 katana 750, vance and hines slip on and stage 1 jet kit, who's ready for some fun?

Comment

ok It seem that 88-89 750 gxsr intake cam is going to be my best bet apparently, i belive they have the highest lift out of all the swapable cams i can find and are the same as the 1100 cams anyways tho im not 100% positive

please corrective me if Im wrong

Comment

Those are the J cams and they go right into any pre 98 750.
                From reading a 1st class builder's site they say the most bang for your buck is top end mods: high lift cams and springs, valve and porting job, and the head shaved down for higher compression.
                No need to jump into the lower block, bore and pistons until you're that much more serious and financed.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                  Those are the J cams and they go right into any pre 98 750.
                  From reading a 1st class builder's site they say the most bang for your buck is top end mods: high lift cams and springs, valve and porting job, and the head shaved down for higher compression.
                  No need to jump into the lower block, bore and pistons until you're that much more serious and financed.
                  The porting i can do myself i just need to read on up on some of the tricks and techniques that vary from cars to bikes ( already pretty decent at hand porting / polishing even most of my Bad jobs i on practice peices gained power on a couple of 305's) the bore can been done basiclly free the pistons are the problem wisco want do a new run unless you buy 12 pistons or more so trying to find a few guys around where i live on Facebook to see if i can do one big order

Comment

Working...
                  X