Katana of the Month - September 2007  kwebbel

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411

Touring 411 Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
squiggy
Kat Master

Just a short update.

Version 3 of the vacuum canister is too thick because the rear tire upon compression rips the canister out of the zip-tie straps under the fender location. So I went to my local plastics store and picked up some scrap acrylic sheets to cut and fabricate a thinner box yet still maintain the same volume of vacuum. I JB Welded the single vacuum check valve to the box itself then cut small length of acrylic tube for the other end.

My second attempt at making the box/canister works good so far.

No pics at this time.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
squiggy
Kat Master

Another update, make sure to follow the original shape of the bracket that the throttle cables are bolted to. I did not and when it came time to do a carb sync the cruise control bracket was in the way.

Here's a picture of what it should look like.

The purpose of that cut-out is for the screw to sync carbs 1&2 to 3&4.

Second thing I noticed is that this metal they use is crap. Crap I tell you. When I was removing my carbs to do some work the part that bolts to my homemade brake broke.

You see the cable at the center next to the threads on the right? That's where it broke.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #13
bob393
Kat Champion

eBay ID: bob393

That is one serious project!
But thanks for taking the time to write it up for the rest of us.

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
3BBB turn signal mirrors,
Black painted seat and rear trim,
Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #14
Bart
Katrider

eBay ID: dude_illin_gent

Hee-hee...
Quote:
Careful as... the nuts on the throttle cannot be removed
Yeah, that's my problem... kinda defeats the purpose of cruise control.

=-=-=-=-=

Just kidding, sorry, nothing personal. Your write-up was absolutely fantastic... a bit beyond my skill level for now, but just makes me want to learn new things that much more. Couldn't help but throw in some playful sarcasm... ride on, brother.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #15
squiggy
Kat Master

Small update, Murph'skits, the one in the write-up that sells the pre-fabbed vacuum canisters, now is selling the original, albeit a clone, vacuum controlled cruise control. Here's the link, and I updated the link on the front page.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/pr...f80f8a2410f2e1

However, for $30 more I think I'd go with the fully electronic CC, that I linked with the Amazon ad, as I still had issues trying to deal with the homemade vacuum canister.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
Wild-Bill
Kat Legend

eBay ID: justbillv

3 items:

1. Got curious and checked Flea-Bay. Their prices for the fully electronic version are all over the place but all high. Amazon's price is cheaper than even the cheapest on Flea-Bay once you include shipping. May as well go for Amazon.

2. I did the install using the CCS-100 vacuum-driven version. Never had any trouble with vacuum at all. For my canister I used a 6" of 2" diameter PVC pipe and a couple of end caps. It fit great under the left side cover and there's been no trouble at all with leaks or insufficient vacuum.

3. The one problem I had with function was that the CC wouldn't set over about 70 mph. Solved that by building a longer bracket for mounting the cable on the carbs. Now the cable housing mounts all the way forward, by the valve cover and it works great up to about 85 (the fastest I've tried it).

I've enjoyed the CC enough that I'm going to transfer it to my 1100 before I sell the 750. Thanks for the write-up Squiggy! This has been fantastic.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
HID Projector Retrofit
Wild-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
BareKat
Kat Daddy

eBay ID: KR Member since 2005

This is a project I"d like to take a stab at after I get my engine/bike put back together.
1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
1973 Honda cb350 - sold
BareKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
squiggy
Kat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
Never had any trouble with vacuum at all. For my canister I used a 6" of 2" diameter PVC pipe and a couple of end caps.
The best canister I made is the large one, the 3"x6" PVC or ABS plumbing stuff. The smaller ones did not do well in holding speed which I suspect it was because of being to small a volume of vacuum. However, the size and mounting it has been the constant issue. But right now since the metal part to the cable broke I have not been using it anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Bill View Post
It fit great under the left side cover and there's been no trouble at all with leaks or insufficient vacuum.
Do you have a picture of your canister mounted there?
Old 11-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #19
Wild-Bill
Kat Legend

eBay ID: justbillv

I've got several photos. Check my photobucket album. The photos of the carb hookup are pretty awful but the rest of them aren't too bad. I built a bracket for the controls that used the clutch safety switch mount to hold the control pad above the left switch housing. That turned out pretty nice although I eventually painted the wires with liquid electrical tape. Like I mentioned before, the bracket I built to hold the cable housing at the carbs left too much slack so I had to build a longer one. I've got a photo of that around somewhere but I'm not sure where right now. I'll see about taking a photo of that before I take the CC off my 750 to transfer to the 1100.
http://s730.photobucket.com/albums/w...n%20Kat%20750/
Wild-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
squiggy
Kat Master

OK I see now, you have a Pre. For the Post's Kats the place where you mounted the canister is already occupied by the rear shock reservoir. It's definitely a good spot for those that have it available.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411