No announcement yet.
X

Home made front stand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not really a pivot stand, I'm using the frametube above it.
    I used it to strip the frame, strapped it down to the rear (had to weld a crossbar and two extra to_the_front_pointing_bars, so it wouldn't flip over)
    Apart from that it works fine, lifts the bike entirely 10" from the ground, but like I said it needs a little rework so one doesn't have to weld and cut anytime it's being used.
    (If somebody wants the drawings, just PM)

Comment

I've got a hover bike right now.

Everything looks okay. Been hanging like that since Saturday. I'll probably get the wheels back on one night this week.

It's easier to lift the kat from the frame. On the Bandit, I lifted from the triple clamps.

Extra straps are good!
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I left my bike hanging like that for a couple weeks while gradually doing an engine swap . I think it'll be fine .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
          I left my bike hanging like that for a couple weeks while gradually doing an engine swap . I think it'll be fine .
          I had a bike suspended like that for about a month and a half. Only I had the front wheel still on for most of the time. when I let it down, and took it for a ride, the fork seals started to leak. Don't know if the weight of the front wheel pulling down caused it or if it was simply coincidence.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I know this is an old thread but it's good one! I'm going to build one so I can paint my lower forks and swingarm. Thanks!
            96 Katana 600
            97 4 door Blazer LT
            03 Honda Pilot EXL
            sigpic

Comment

Wow I just priced out the parts for the home-made stand at my local home depot and it came out to around $150 and barely any less for 3/4"! I was even going for the cheaper material and it didn't make much difference. I don't know whether it's living in CA or the economy but I ended up just getting some wood blocks for my bike jack and am going to just make that work. Weak.
              1997 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

The price of steel is up and living in CA has a lot to do with it.

Comment

wow...... I've got a f**k ton of black iron pipe in my basement (scrapped it all and ran new gas lines when I moved in)..... If I could figure out how to cut and rethread it all, I could build a few of them!
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

L&L, any old style mom and pop local hardware usually has a pipe threading machine. Lowes does also. At my old hardware store, it was 50 cents a cut and thread. At Lowes I'm not sure, plumbings at the other end of the store, I am in the lumber yard
                    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                      L&L, any old style mom and pop local hardware usually has a pipe threading machine. Lowes does also. At my old hardware store, it was 50 cents a cut and thread. At Lowes I'm not sure, plumbings at the other end of the store, I am in the lumber yard
                      Hmm.... maybe I'll have to go check it out. I'll have to inventory my stuff. I know some of the pipe they pulled was galvanized, because they were talking about how it shouldn't have been mixed with black iron........

BTW- That little guy in your signature never bails off of that bike. He rides that wheelie all the way until his back is on the ground!
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Galv pipe is a Huge problem when it comes to natural gas.... Just to get a little off topic here.

Galvanized pipe is in reality black iron pipe that had holes in it during testing and leaked. Back in the day, they would galvanize a piece of leaking pipe to fill the leak. Galv pipe was suitable for water use since the galvanic coating doesn't rust or flake away.

But since water is thicker than gas, Its recommended usage was and still is limited to a fluid vs. a gas. Especially something like natural gas. Although the galvanic process is almost thorough, there can be times when something like dust might still prevent adheresion. You shouldn't use Galv pipe for anything flammable period. The strength of the pipe is not in question as to why it now galvanized, but its ability to hold gas in is.

As for the wheelie dude, Yep... rode it till his demise
                        If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                        Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                          Galv pipe is a Huge problem when it comes to natural gas.... Just to get a little off topic here.

Galvanized pipe is in reality black iron pipe that had holes in it during testing and leaked. Back in the day, they would galvanize a piece of leaking pipe to fill the leak. Galv pipe was suitable for water use since the galvanic coating doesn't rust or flake away.

But since water is thicker than gas, Its recommended usage was and still is limited to a fluid vs. a gas. Especially something like natural gas. Although the galvanic process is almost thorough, there can be times when something like dust might still prevent adheresion. You shouldn't use Galv pipe for anything flammable period. The strength of the pipe is not in question as to why it now galvanized, but its ability to hold gas in is.

As for the wheelie dude, Yep... rode it till his demise
                          Wow. I didn't think they were even similar. I thought they were completely different types of pipe. Like in exhaust piping, aluminized vs stainless, or copper vs pvc, or peanut butter vs jelly..........

Thanks for the lesson!

Comment

I might be able to get better prices on the sch10 1" pipe. I am a fire sprinkler apprentice and have access to untold amounts of scrap pipe and fittings.

I'll go build one and figure out the weight. Then I can see how much it would be to ship em everywhere. I'd probably charge 20buxs for the labour per kit. Hr's wage.
                            If you guys think it could be useful. I have access to a 300 threading machine and can set the tolerances of the thread. Also I could leave the butt fittings out of the equation and just send the pipe. You guys can get the local cast 90's and caps for cheap enough I'm guessing. That would save on the cost of the weight. Or I could tork em on and pass on the companies bill I'm guessing.

If anyone is interested lemme know or send me the link for the measurements. I have alot of time off and could use something to do

Comment

Unlike the Kat, my ZX 750 has no center stand, no apparent place to mount one, and no good surface on the bottom to jack the bike up. Since I gotta take the front end apart, I decided to make the pipe stand:

Works well! Only the center strap is needed, the other two are backups.

Comment

Working...
                              X