No announcement yet.
X

#4 cylinder not firing... please help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sometimes i get an intermittent miss on my 94 kat 600, it isnt as extreme as this one sounded but i am wondering if it is the same thing?
    BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

Check your spark plug wire caps where they attach to the wires.... one of mine was loose.
      My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

i had them off and reconnected and taped ,the parts guy at the suzuki shop in my town told me to do so ,but still the same prob ,actually it seems to be haveing a good spell because it hasnt happened in a while
        BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
          Well it turns out it was the coils. They replaced the battery too because it was crap.

I hate to dig up old posts but I have a question on this one..... The bike has 4 cylinders which are powered by 2 coils....... #1 coil fires 2 cylinders out of the 4. #2 coil fires 2 cylinders out of the 4. You had #1,2 & 3 firing but #4 was dead. How can the repair shop have a diagnosis of bad coils????? Wouldn't it be that if you had a bad coil you would have 2 out of the 4 cylinders dead?????

Comment

I think he meant that he had a bad wire going from the coil to #4.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

connectors. I started the bike back up and it's still doing the same thing.

It started and ran fine on all 4 cylinders, then after a while it started running like a cylinder was missing. The #1 and #4 cylinders started to go cool

He said #1 and 4 started to go cool.

Comment

Well I checked the plugs... the ones that were in there were practically brand new and they all looked perfect. I replaced them with properly gapped new plugs from the dealer anyway. I checked and used dielectric grease at all connections at the caps, coils, and even the coil connectors. I started the bike back up and it's still doing the same thing.

It started and ran fine on all 4 cylinders, then after a while it started running like a cylinder was missing. The #1 and #4 cylinders started to go cool while the #2 and #3 were 450 ish. I thought I might have a bad coil but it tested OK as per the shop manual. I put it back together one more time and only the #4 is running cool again.

I don't know if I've ruled out an ignition problem or if this is carburetor related. The problem is intermittent, and I can't run the bike with the tank off.

I don't know what to do next short of towing it to a shop.
                Still doesn't sound like a coil because if you read his underlined words only #4 is running cool again.

Comment

shops will tell you all kinds of crap and *** rape you to fix something other then what they said. The reason they did that is because a needle valve is a whole lot less then a coil, thats what they do.

Comment

Are you talkin about a needle valve in the carb??????

Comment

yes, a stuck float will do exactly what he's describing. It fouls the plug on that cylinder and that cylinder stops firing.

Comment

I'm digging this up because I had this problem before but it was my coil wire on #4 was loose. Now I'm here again because #4 died on me again but the bike runs smooth with no miss. I went right to the wire again but I had excellent spark. I did the spit test and I didn't like what I saw....again.

Did you ever un-stick a float without pulling the carbs apart??? Possibly drain the bowls and give it a quick shot of compressed air in the fuel line??? I really don't want to take the carbs off again.
                        Last edited by Kfreak; 06-11-2008, 09:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

nope, it'll just stick again.

Comment

Why now. This is really p*ssin me off.

Comment

My problem ended up being in the wiring between the CDI and the coil pack that controls #1 and #4. I suggest you check all your high voltage AND low voltage connections to make sure they are all clean and tight.

I know it sounds stupid, but I thought I checked all mine good enough and now I'm $400 less than where I started when the actual fix cost $0. Learn from my mistake, now I have an extra CDI box that I'm stuck with because I didn't check the wiring well enough.
                              My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Don't feel bad about it. Live and learn. I have done it many times.

Comment

Working...
                                X