No announcement yet.
X

# 4 cylinder is cold.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.K. here is what I found. # 4 is fouled. Gas fouled. I am going to change the plugs. Now I need your expertize. I do have vacuum from #4 carb to the petcock. Think about this..... the vacuum tap that is used for the petcock is on the side of #4 carb. I do have them on the top but they are plugged with the factory plugs. All 4 carbs are exactly the same. Explain why carb 1,2,& 3
    do not have the side vacuum tap plugged. My manual makes no refrence to any vacuum connections. Can anyone direct me to a web site that has a vacuum diagram for the Katana 750f ?

Comment

Vacuum taps should be plugged.

49-state model has one vacuum line: #4 carb to petcock.
      It has two other vacuum-effected hoses; the line from the valves to the top of the airbox (vapor recovery hose), and the airbox drain tube (pre-98 should be folded over to seal; 98+ gets a plug-in design instead).

California models have a ton of additional vacuum crud to everywhere, including a T-fitting in the vac line to the petcock, a pair valve assembly under the tank (4" - 5" square box with a bunch of vac connectors), charcoal cannister, etc.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
        Explain why carb 1,2,& 3
        do not have the side vacuum tap plugged.
        Because that hole you see there don't go all the way through as it does on number4 .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

With all that being said..... I was hoping the other vacuum ports were sealed. I re-ran the drain hose for the air box. There was provisions for it to run thru the shock mount and bent up to seal it. The hose was running straight down to the clamp on the other side of the motor. An open hose would cause more air in the box than I want. Just bought the new plugs and can't replace them till tomorrow. I don't really like them because of the dual tip where the spark jumps. But that is the only way they come. We will see what tomorrow will bring.........

Comment

Wait...what? Too much air in your AIRBOX? New plugs for the vacuum ports that are sealed? I think I missed something here.

Have a digital camera and 5 minutes to take pitcures of what you are talking about? I think you may have jumped the gun here.

Comment

Yes you did miss something. We were just discussing what needs to be closed and what doesn't. I'm one for doing alterations to something but keeping it looking as stock as possible. A sleeper in disguise. As far as plugs, it's spark plugs that need to be changed and vacuum ports that belonged blocked.

Comment

There was provisions for it to run thru the shock mount and bent up to seal it.
                Just FYI: normally it exits right next to the right driver's foot, and there should be a flexible bit of metal on the frame to hold the end there...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, that's where I routed it to. I'm confident that I will have it running when I put the new plugs in tomorrow. The weather will be warm tomorrow plus I'll be in a heated garage. Anything with a choke in 30 degree weather will give you a hard time. It's like a female.....they need time to warm up.

Comment

It's ALIVE! I just changed the plugs and found out the reason for # 4 not firing. I snipped off about 1/4 of the plug wire and put the plug boot back on. It fired. I'm back together and waiting for some warm day's. My whole problem was a simple connection. Go figure.......

Comment

Glad you got it running good, annoying when you find out it was something so 'simple'.
                      Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        Ok , I'd do a few things for starters (yes , cecking the plugs is one ) . Pull the one plug and wire brush it off . Have another plug ready on standby . Keep it under the seat as a spare if you don't need it NOW . Check plug boot wires is good (twist and push wire into boot) . Of course ,pay close attention to the wire at the cold cylinder . Your jetting could still be off even if it ran ok for a little while . Fouling CAN take some miles if it's just a little off , and often not all cylinder will like the same mix . Can PROBABLY rule out the air filter , unless the other plugs look dark , in which case may be worth a look ...... what am I forgetting ? It's late , and I'm tired .....

Comment

O.K so what's the next problem??? I don't want to be a squid anymore. It's time to move on. MD I didn't ignore your post. I knew I had fuel and I had figured it was an electrical problem. Gas/Air + Spark = Fire. I am amazed that this didn't cost me a ton of money. I think a hundred bucks for the jet kit and no other parts required was a good deal.
                          Last edited by Kfreak; 11-22-2007, 07:24 PM.

Comment

You tell me . What IS the next problem ? Is it still not running well ?

Comment

No, we are running great.... me like a dummy grabbed the #4 header pipe and now I have a burned right hand. Let's hear someone else's problem.

Comment

No, we are running great.... me like a dummy grabbed the #4 header pipe and now I have a burned right hand. Let's hear someone else's problem.
                                Ah , you learned the hard way . Spit test . You spit on your finger , and DAB the pipe quickly . When it's running right , it'll burn off almost INSTANTLY . You know , for future reference ....

Comment

Working...
                                X