X

Just an update...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an update...

the slight weeving/swaying was caused by an over tighten steering bearing and the hard starting issue was caused by a couple of loose tubes in the carberator area. The bike runs great and it starts right up every time now even in the cold mornings...thanks to everyone for the suggestions and assistance.

However, it can't be lowered enough for my girlfriend so it's going to have to be sold or trade. I was hoping I can find lowering links for pre-98 Kats but that's not the case. I just received the title for the bike today in the mail so anyone looking to buy a 94' Katana 600 w/ 15k miles and a clean title in the Stockton, Sacramento, CA. areas for $1,500, let me know. Or if you have a Kawasaki EX 500 of equal value and want to trade, let me know.

Thanks again!

sad that you have to get rid of your bike, but good you get to keep the girl. I don't know of your previous thread about the problem you were having or anything. I don't know how far you need to lower your bike. I guess the problem is that your girl friend can't get onto the bike. Being out in california I would presume that you could find someone to weld some extra length of metal into the stock pre98 dogbones. I am searching options now on lowering my bike 2 inches, because i will be putting on a hayabusa shock that raises the rear about 2 inches. I am looking around and getting measurements to change the linkage at the bottom. If the ratio is 4:1, meaning for every 1/4" you add to the dogbones, you drop the rear 1". So i would need to do 1/2". I think I am just going to end up adding that to my dogbones.

But between tires, and corbin seat you might get close, but then again don't know how sever your problem is. But glad to hear you got it to run.

I found your past posts.....need to lower 2 inches. I don't think cost of having someone add 1/2" piece to the dogbones would be to expensive, and i think it would be a simple endevour. I don't think it would cause problems because it would increase the length of the arc, so shouldn't be clearance issues.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Does the Kat belong to her or are you selling it because she can't get on the back to ride two up?

If the Kat belongs to her you can also take the seat nad get some of the foam cut out to make the saddle a little lower to the ground.

When my GF and I go riding two up with her being so short what she does is climbs up to my seat, stands up on my pegs and places her butt on her seat and then pyts her feet on her pegs. It worked so far.

Comment

The guy next door is selling his '92 ZX6...red but I don't know if it will be better than the Kat?? He want's $2,200.00 for it and it has 17,500 miles on it..but it's in So Cal..
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Thanks guys,

I thought about changing the tires to lower profile tires but after taking the seat off, my girlfriend still tip toes on the bike while sitting on it so I don't think shaving the seat and spending money on new tires would do any good. She's not comfortable so I think for her comfort level and safety, I just rather get a smaller bike. Afterall, it was my fault for not doing an accurate research on lowering links. When I did the research on lowering links, there are links for katana so I thought it would be available for all kats but I found out now that it's only available for 98 plus kats. I also asked the local bike mechanic to see if he can lower the rear shock and he said to do that he'll have to overhaul the shock and spring by cutting, rebuilding and re-welding it...it would not be feasable for this bike due to the cost factor and the bike might not ride as well as it would in stock form.

Comment

I don't see your previous post (?) so please forgive me if you have already answered these questions. I am 5'3" and began riding on a '97 Kat. How tall is your girl? These bikes have a manual suspension adjustment that will lower it a small amount (at this point, everything helps). Then I purchased these boots: http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...=TUC_09-8136_G Cycle Gear carries these in women's ... they just aren't listed on the website that way. I gained close to 3" between the heel and the interior of the boot. Between these two things and shaving the seat, are you sure it would still be too tall?

I agree 100% that you have to feel comfortable and stable and that having the bike low enough is more important than someone who have never experienced this can understand. I have had all other bikes lowered 1", because the dogbones have always been available. I really liked my '97 Kat and would hate to see you have to get rid of the bike if you don't have to. Good luck!
            ~ Lisa
            2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
            2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Texas Blonde,

My girlfriend is 5'2" inches tall w/ short inseams. I'm haven't given up hope yet...if there's a way to make the bike more comfortable for her, I will do it while I still have the bike. If not then, I'll just sell it or trade the bike in for one that fits her better.

Comment

If you end up having to sell it and look for something else (and you want a 600) ... take a look at the F4i's. Lowered 1", she should have no problems at all touching and they are much lighter than the Kat. Good luck!
                ~ Lisa
                2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
                2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

ne-oublie can't make bones for the pre-98s? Bummer.
                  Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                  -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                  -Terence

Comment

Working...
                  X