X
X

Pre 98 Caliper Rebuild (w/ pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is that thing `scotch brite`? sandpaper? sorry if i`m an idiot, i realy d`ont know what is that.....

Comment

look what i found when i spread the caliper.....it`s garbage or what? any advice?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm hard to tell. It isn't pretty..
        However a member went to order a kit from the dealer and I think the price of the seal kit with pistons was pretty cheap, $30?? Worth looking into

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          Hmmm hard to tell. It isn't pretty..
          However a member went to order a kit from the dealer and I think the price of the seal kit with pistons was pretty cheap, $30?? Worth looking into
          thank`s....scratches is only at surface, not so deep...i will buy only the seal....

Comment

Great thread. Thanks for putting it up.

Comment

I didn't see anyone post this link but I saw a few question about read calipers, Looks like this site would have the proper kit. http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/cal...build_kits.htm
              sigpic
              1994 GSX600

Comment

How do you put the piston back in without cracking the caliper? I was bleeding my brakes and noticed that they were locking up. After examining the caliper that i thought was the culprit, i hit the brake lever a few times and it popped out along with a seal. How do i fix this?
                1986 bf 323
                1990 zuk gs5
                2002 mitsu galant

Comment

Great job !

Comment

I could not pull the piston out with pliers. 100 psi air wouldn't do it either. What worked was 1500 psi air from a scuba tank
                    Just be sure to wrap a rag around the caliper to catch the pistons when they fly out!
                    It's probably best to push the pistons out as far as possible by pumping the brake before disconnecting the caliper - you'll waste a few cents of fluid but if you don't have 1500 psi air it may be the only way.

Comment

Yep, and that one was destine for a rebuild if it was that hard to get out! Normally they shoot out rather easy.
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

i am doing a rebuild not new to doing this done it on many bikes but the piston blocks on my gsx750f are seized into the pistons.
                        i have cracked open the caliper to do the rebuild but was wondering i could dremmel a slot in the piston blocks to try and budge them but
                        before i do i had a look to see if i can buy new ones from my supplier
                        they sell rebuild kits and pistons not the piston blocks.
                        are these 100% necessary are they there to stop vibration or hold the pistons there.

any advice of ideas to get the piston blocks out without dremmeling them.

Comment

Perhaps I' reading your question wrong but have you tried compressed air in increasing amounts? Some get really stuck in there hard due to buildups.
                          - Purplehaze
                          All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

have you tried compressed air

yeah i tried footpumping them out didnt work lol
                            so off to the garage to try the compressor.

Comment

If your going to rebuild them anyways, do you have access to a carb dip that would dissolve the deposits and rubber in there now? Berryman's carb dip available here would do that, and I would just soak the caliper in there for a bit, like a full day. By the time it's done, the gunk holding it and the rubber boots too should be basically gone and allow for very free movement of the pistons at that point.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X