Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE: Soft Bags- Should I Buy Em? I DID!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE: Soft Bags- Should I Buy Em? I DID!

Putting the update at the top of my post; you can still read my original post, below. I bought the NR bags. Got 'em for $35.00 cash, no tax charged to me. Props to WOW Motorcycles, Marietta, GA. I forgot, they have new, never-used dry-bags that came with them. Gonna try a couple of things to make them work on my B12- I'm thinking of some sort of quick-release heat shield, above the can. I've also seen, somewhere, some thin sheetmetal (more like very thick aluminum foil, think it's used in the roofing industry) with a press-and-place sticky on it, might just try that if I can find some, stick it to the bottom of the bag. I have a friend who has a Honda Nighthawk 700S, she has a pair of cheezy leather bags, way small and look soooo out of place on her NH, might sell 'em to her if I decide to go back to the Givi's.

Speaking of the Givi's, I am going to remove the wing rack and use these on my next overnighter or longer, see how I like 'em. Once I decide, I will prob. post here, so that if someone here wants what I don't, they can give me a shout. SO's now will be heard, but I can't promise I will remember who was interested in what.

I took a few quick pics, don't know if they attached or not.

Thanks for all who weighed in.

My original post:

Just looked at a pair of big Nelson-Rigg soft throw-over nylon bags. They are pretty big- look to be about the same size as my Givi 36-litre hard bags. Speaking of the Givi's, I like them for how secure they mount, but that dang WingRack sure does ugly up the rear of my Bandit 1200S.

So here's the rub (no pun intended): I can get the NR's cheap- $35.00, but they are square, not wedge bags, and try as I might, the best clearance I seem to be able to get from the can is about one inch, maybe 1.5 if I really work at it.

The last touring I did was trip to the dragon with my son riding the now-gone Katana 750, me on the Bandit. Having the wingrack did allow me to strap lots of gear on the Bandit- in addition to the Givi bags being quite full, I strapped a REI BaseCamp 4 tent and two Ridgerests on, in the place the pillion would have sat.

So- it looks like A) good looking bike when not loaded but maybe less room for the load, or B), big, stable load with means to carry everything I might want to bring, but ugly when not touring.

Usually I ask for only informed or experienced opinion, but I only have 24 hours to decide. EVERYBODY WEIGH IN HERE. Which way do you think I should go?

On a related point, what should I expect to sell the Givis and wingrack for? Bags are in good condition, rack is excellent.

Thanks!
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Personally, I'd never give up the Givi's for a standard set of NR soft-bags... NR does carry (or did carry?) one brand of soft luggage that I loved [BBags] and it'd be the only thing I'd leave my Givi's behind for. But BBags and you no longer have the capacity to take a passenger.

There's an aftermarket firm making alternative racks for the Givi's that are designed to be a 2 minute affair to install & remove, so you don't have to ride "ugly" as you call it but can still keep the Givi's. Having watched my Givi rack on the Kat can-opener the entire side of a dodge van without narry a scratch to the bike except a crack in the rear blinker lens, I like the tube-style rack even if it is a bit ugly.

As for what you can expect to get for the bags/rack -- separate them if you sell them (bags one sale, racks another). I'd expect you to get about $150 for the bags (depending on model) and $80 for the rack, give or take... If you had sold them at the start of the riding season, I'd have expected you to get more. Which bags are they? I might want 'em...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Take a good look at what you will be doing and decide how much you want to spend on something that may receive limited use. I have a set of NR Sphere bags that have not been on a bike in over two years, but I'll never get rid of em because they are there if I do decide to use them.

For the money I don't think you can go wrong. I HATE the way the Givi racks look also which is a huge factor in why I got the Futura rather than a Ducati ST4. I just HATE unsightly racks on a bike.

The big downside is that the NR bags effectively kill the pillion option.
      Ron
      MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

For 35$... just get the bags and if you don't like them, you didn't spend too much and can always sell them again!

Comment

I just purchased the NR soft saddlebags and tailbag combo. Installation and removal can be done in 2 minutes. I was able to pack for a 10 day vacation to include day time/night time clothes, shoes, medications, etc. Plus they still maintained the "cool" factor I feel the Katana has. My clearance is only about 1.5 inces as well but luckily the bag has a protective shield located underneath for the heat of the can.

Good luck, I'd buy them just for the cheap price. If you find you don't like em' sell em' on ebay or here.

Comment

I have the NR bags as well, however, given the opportunity, I would go back and spend the extra on the Givi bags in a heart beat. But then again I like the way the Givi's look
            None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
            -Robert Morrison

"
            well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianRider
              For 35$... just get the bags and if you don't like them, you didn't spend too much and can always sell them again!
              +1 for $35 they are worth a try.
              In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.
              www.myspace.com/adamerogers

Comment

Originally posted by adam
                Originally posted by CanadianRider
                +1 for $35 they are worth a try.
                +2 Even if you have to bring them to tailor to get them altered to fit a little better. I would think that it would be easy to get your money back on Ebay.

Comment

I would realy like to see some pics?
                  In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.
                  www.myspace.com/adamerogers

Comment

Tried to post em, got msg. that I used up my allotment! WUWT?
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
                      Tried to post em, got msg. that I used up my allotment! WUWT?
                      KatRiders pays an outside service to host their forums (including bandwidth & storage space), so they put an arbitrary limit on how much you can store here at KR. Storing it anywhere else and referencing the URL inside image tags will get around that. If you want to email the file(s) to me, I'll be happy to host them (no limits on my end), or use your own ISP's storage (you get it free with your connectivity normally), or use an image-storage site like ImageShack.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'd be glad to, Cyber, but can't find your email addy anywhere!
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB
                          I'd be glad to, Cyber, but can't find your email addy anywhere!
                          Try the button marked "Email" right below my signature block

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Here you go, StevieB (I down-sized them for those who don't have the luxury of broadband connections):

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Looks good for the price! It would of been nice to see them on the bike though!

Comment

Working...
                              X