X

Any Kat track riders?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Kat track riders?

I have taken my ex500R out to a couple track days down here around me and have one coming up in August where I'd like a little more power. Understand these are track orientation days, not official races. I was wondering if there are any Kat riders here though that track and how they handle in the tight turns. I have yet to really give mine a test on the street of what I think it might need at the track. Opinions would be appreciated.
    Chase

Your EX will be easier to ride on the track. People have done track days on a Kat though. I personally haven't, but having owned two Kats, I'm pretty familiar with their handling.

You will get a work out, that's for sure. Ground clearance will definitely become an issue quickly.

Be prepared to scrape up your belly pan. Might want to remove it. Also, if you have a center stand, TAKE IT OFF before your track day.
    -Steve

Comment

I took mine to the track 2 weeks ago and found that ground clearance was certainly the big issue. I scraped pegs, belly pan..... It wasn't horrible or anything. I was actually suprised at how well it DID perform. Give it a try at the track but just be aware of the Kat's limitations.

Comment

i drag race my kat if that counts for going to the track

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
          i drag race my kat if that counts for going to the track
          Nope, it doesn't. Sorry.
          -Steve

Comment

what times do you get at the strip?

Comment

12.4 on a beat up stock motor, ill be going either this weekend or next and ill let you know what i run

Comment

I did one track day on the Kat. Never again. I was wearing a hole on the side of my fairing while the right side runs out of clearance and grounds the exhaust mid pipe.

The Bandit goes to the track next time.
                Ron
                MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Can't i take off the bottom fairing for the run and my pipes aren't on like yours. They are up behind my foot pegs and thats about as low as I'm going to lean.
                  Chase

Comment

I sure do plan on it. Only clearance issues I have had on my Kat is my toes......and yes I am on the balls of my feet. I do know that the Jardine System I have on my bike brings the mid pipe under the bike more, and the rear-set sure do help. I am sure these problems will arise with a stock Kat.
                    1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                    2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                    Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Originally posted by duff daddy
                      12.4 on a beat up stock motor, ill be going either this weekend or next and ill let you know what i run
                      A guy from work asked me to go down to the strip with him this weekend. He's got an srt-4 and wants to get a few basline runs before he mod's it up.

I think i'm gonna turn it down though, my valves need to be done and i don't wanna runs the risk of screwing somthing up by pounding on it at the strip. Even though i would love to give those macadams the smokin' funeral they deserve

Comment

a friend of mine had a 1999 kat, tricked out paint, took it to the track several times. Had a blast with it, but definately felt alittle over matched w/ the others out there.

Comment

Well, I'm still n Novice class so its more about learning the lines then getting away. And some of the guys I have been with out there barely know how to shift. I think I can make the Kat get around in a decent time. I was just worried about the cornering with such a heavy bike.
                          Chase

Comment

In a repeat of another post too, i am trying to find a manual for the bike (didn't gt one when I bought it used) to get suspension settings. Any leads on where I can find one. Its a 1996 GSX600F
                            Chase

Comment

yea thoes srt's are in the 13's with a good driver stock, and hopefully ill be at the track ....just need that call from the dealer

Comment

Working...
                              X