No announcement yet.
X

# 1 and # 3 cylinders not firing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked up the PAIR in the factory manual and they call it an air suction system. the California emmisions system also shows the canister, roll over valve, and purge control valves.. I'm wondering it a problem in this system is messing with the vwenting of my carb #3. will look into this tomorrow. but then also will most likely be yanking the air suction system and the evaporative emmisions control system (canister and plumbing...) can you folks point me to a good link with recommendations?? I googled around and found conflicting reports as to increased or decreased decell popping as well as a flat spot in torque, quicker revving, crankcase vacuum,,, and can anyone say what that roll over valve does? Seems it vents the fuel tank to the canister (which routes the fumes to the carbs) but why call it a "roll over valve)? Might I have filled the canister with fuel while tipping the tank around to access the plugs ??
    '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
    '83 xj550 maxim
    '84 xvz1200
    '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
    '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

Comment

Roll over valve is a Cali safety device used for spill control during a crash or drop.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

On the katana, I can assure you it does not effect the running of the bike... AS LONG AS you properly block off the ports when removing it.

Those points are ...

4 down tubes on bottom of carbs need capped
        Single line for petcock vacuum.
        Blocking plates on the engine under exhaust ports. (Easy simple to do with stock metal from lowes or other hardware store)

After that, just remove everything else.

A 4th item I'd suggest is to put a drain hose on the fuel tank extra port, just in case the valve fails and fuel comes out.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

roll over valve and venting//

OK, now I'm thinking more, (sinking in).. The carbs have those two monster vent lines that would take care of venting. and the rollover valve allows vapor to pass but not liquid. and in the slim chance that it allowed fuel to roll in when I tipped the tank that would affect #3 & 4 and be over soon enough.. fingers crossed today. I don't want to see a compression problem and cant see fuel or spark being the problem. Hey my "instant email notifications" are no longer working.. Is that feature down?
          '83 xj550 maxim
          '84 xvz1200

Comment

well today I checked compression on #3 and it was about 140 psi. # 4 read about same.// So off with the carbs again/. I put clear hoses in the #3 & #4 bowl drains and #3 was lower fuel level than # 4 but not all that much. But I think they wer both about 1/8" below the bowl gasket surface which I'm thinking is low. I was having a time trying to keep the carbs level (and the tops were level but not the bowls and I think mounted, the bowls are level...). #3 float height was a little higher then # 4 also (logically). I went through the pilot circuit and it all looked clean. Gonna recheck # 3 diaphragm and that little o-ring and run it tomorrow with the airbox off to observe the sliders.. and also run it a little with the plug out hoping to see some fuel mist.. (hope I don't catch fire.). any other suggestions? and yes, if this doesn't solve it, I'm gonna swap coils..
            '83 xj550 maxim
            '84 xvz1200

Comment

Run carb cleaner or starting fluid threw the pilot circuit, it should spray pretty good out of the little hole in the bore at the throttle plate.a can nozzle with a straw is necessary.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Float height

haha, I've cleaned this three times now.. I'm going to drop the float heights from 14.7mm to just under 14mm. I did a clear tubing visual and the fuel was about 7mm below the gasket surface. I did another post asking about actual bowl fuel level and float heights.. but long story short, I think 14mm floats is going to get me about 3mm below the gasket surface. THIS IS GOING TO FIX IT.
                '83 xj550 maxim
                '84 xvz1200

Comment

Never seen a float level on the kat since it doesn't have a sight glass. It's all a guess as to where it should be. I know, somewhere out there is a bowl volume measurement someone did.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                  X