X

$1500 for a head job? REALLY?!?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1500 for a head job? REALLY?!?!?

ok, so my 2000 kat 600 non-running with 26k on it is in the shop for a week now, they still haven't touched it. I call today and they plan on swapping over a donor set of carbs to see if it will run. Then they would be able to tell me if the head gaskets are blown or not. Im told this is a fairly common problem with these engines, which im told on this forum that it is not all that common, granted my oil cooler was bypassed at some point in its life (recently mind you). I said ball park it and was told in the neighborhood of $1500 !!! Really? ive had cars done for way less than that. Is this guy for real? that seems kind of high for a head gasket. He pointed out a few engines around the shop that had gasket problems. am i getting hosed here? Is that a realistic price range? has anyone ever had this done?

$1500??? Tell them to kick rocks. Never had this done or delt with it on a Kat yet. Not knowing your mechanical ability, but a used head or even a complete motor would be a fraction of that.
    sigpic
    1994 GSX600

Comment

I'm not an expert, but that sounds like a total load. You could get a used replacement engine for much less. You might upgrade to a B12 or an 1127 for a bit less.

Comment

Run........ as fast as you can. They haven't got a clue what they're talking about.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

and a B12 1127 is what exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Toyfan View Post
            and a B12 1127 is what exactly?
            Bigger engines that fit in to your frame without to much modifications

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
            mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
            sigpic
            1994 GSX600

Comment

Go to that shop, get your bike out of there, and find another mechanic to diagnose it before they screw you over even more. Seriously.

Comment

I'll do you're head gasket for just $1,000.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  I'll do you're head gasket for just $1,000.
                  I'll do it for $500...
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

They are larger engines. I just saw your post count, and just a guess, but I don't think an engine upgrade would be the right way to go. $1500 is way too high for your problem. On another note, I used to live in Belleville, IL.

Comment

so basically the consensus is that its really shady? I've heard good about the shop from a few diff riders, bummer. thats why i chose there. A head gasket is not a common issue then?

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                      They are larger engines. I just saw your post count, and just a guess, but I don't think an engine upgrade would be the right way to go. $1500 is way too high for your problem. On another note, I used to live in Belleville, IL.
                      you would be correct. its my first bike purchase and havent taken the MSF course yet. and i live near FUNSPOT !!!
                      Last edited by Toyfan; 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Toyfan View Post
                        A head gasket is not a common issue then?
                        No, it's not. It's an oil cooled bike, blowing a head gasket on them is pretty hard seeing as they see upwards of 400+ on a daily basis.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Even if it was the head gasket, I'd say 500-600 is a more reasonable price. Most of that is labor anyway. 1500? Go by another whole Katana. That runs.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                            Even if it was the head gasket, I'd say 500-600 is a more reasonable price. Most of that is labor anyway. 1500? Go by another whole Katana. That runs.
                            $1500 could buy an 1127 in damn good shape with everything needed to swap...

Damn, people be getting HOSED.

Comment

I've been there quite a few times. I used to live by Bellevue park, and then out close to SWIC, which used to be BAC. Bring A Crayon, which became Still Writing In Crayon.

Comment

Working...
                              X