X

Which 600 to upgrade to

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 600 to upgrade to

Ok, here's the deal. I am looking for a 600 sportbike to replace the kat. I have rode an r6 and a gsxr. it was only a very mild ride, so i have no idea how the bikes handle in real riding situations. I have read that cbr600rr are more predictable than others at their limits. The ninja is the highest rated in the most recent models. I would like to know which bike is best and why. Which has the most predictable handling, the least likely to wheelie, most new rider friendly. I have a post 600, and i know it is a big step up. I am looking for 2000+ models. I have sat on the newest gsxr and i like how it feels. What are your impressions? For those who will suggest a vfr or anything heavier, I don't want a heavy bike. Money is not the biggest issue. i just want to know how easy it is to control compared to others in its class.

New SS rider? CBR or GSXR
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

my next wont be a 600 but it will be fuel injected
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

make sure its Fuel injected!! BIG MUST!

personally i wouldnt ever get a 600, but rather would like a 750. the added torque and the power curve of the 750's in gernal seem to be better for intown riding. whereas 600's need to be really wrapped out to get their power.
        03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
        04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
        08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
        10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
        05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          New SS rider? CBR or GSXR
          I see you have a ninja. Why cbr or gsxr?

Originally posted by phil823 View Post
          make sure its Fuel injected!! BIG MUST!

personally i wouldnt ever get a 600, but rather would like a 750. the added torque and the power curve of the 750's in gernal seem to be better for intown riding. whereas 600's need to be really wrapped out to get their power.
          I was thinking of a 750, but 150hp range is too big a leap. i don't think i could trust myself. I think a little over 100hp sounds like a smarter move. I don't ride in cities, just country roads and suburbs, so torque is not an issue since i can down shift.
          Last edited by newkatbie; 10-16-2010, 08:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'd go for a GSXR just because parts are everywhere for them (if you happen to drop it)..... plus I'm a Suzuki person.

Modern 600's are fast...... seriously. I might go with something bigger because I like to drag, but for strictly a street bike a modern 600 SS is still far more than most people can really use.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by newkatbie View Post
              I see you have a ninja. Why cbr or gsxr?
              They are easily the most user friendly out of all the big 4 600cc supersports. I am just wrapping up my 3rd season on the 636 and I'm still not comfortable at its limits. The bike is still a lot better than me. The Honda is so well mannered that it's absolutely ridiculous, not to say it's not a phenomenally handling bike with a great engine, but the power is silky smooth compared to the others. Same with the gsxr to a lesser extent.

If you're looking for refinement stay away from the Ninja, seriously. If you're looking for a beast *** motor with suspension brakes and chassis composure that is 95% of what the others offer, check it out. They are all incredibly different and have their own strengths and drawbacks, it all just depends on what you want. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, new bikes are my thing

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Front what Ive read, the Ninja is the best handling 600 on the market right now. Sport Rider just did thier bike of the year and every bike was a 1k, except for the ZX6 and it didnt do to shabby in comparison to the bigger bikes.

Im a Suzuki guy but I dont think id buy a GSXR just for the fact that you see 10 a day on the road. The R6's are nice, great power and they look sick. Not sure on the CBR but my friend loves his (He wont let me ride it)

If I was looking for a new 600 it would be a toss up between the ZX6 and the R6. Just my 2 cents.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

The r6 has always had the weakest motor.

Comment

The r6 has always had the weakest motor.
                    Makes more power than the Ninja.

Comment

I am a suzuki guy too. i have loved the gsxr since i was a kid. i like the name and the look. That seems so superficial, but ...
                      I like how the r6 looks, but i had a buddy tell me it is not as fun at its limits. That really turned me away. i don't want to ride something that's looking to kill me.
                      I have heard the ninja is the best in performance, but if you say it is not user friendly, i'll take your word for it, scotty.
                      So that leaves the cbr that i was already thinking about. i have read it is user friendly and has smooth power delivery in magazines. I guess i'll start looking for the cbr now that fall has started and its getting cold out. i was thinking 2003+ so I could get the 600rr, but the f4i is nice and pretty close in terms of power and weight. I went to the local bike shop to look at the new ones, but the shop near my house had a bunch of r6s and gsxr s and a few ninja. No cbr. I'll try other shops to see if they have a new one for a good price. If i find a used one that has low miles and is in good condition first, i might just wait for a new one for a couple of seasons. I like the idea of new, though, because i know no one has f(*&ed it up yet.
                      Thanks for all the advice. Oh, and i am trying to get away from carbs. I have a bunch of threads of me trying to fix the carbs only for them to get dirty after a couple of weeks in the garage. I hate cleaning carbs.

i think he was referring to the power band. From what I read, the r6 makes most of its power very close to the top compared to the others. That might be why i was told it is not as fun at its limits. Or too much fun.

i think you can buy power bands, though.lol
                      Last edited by newkatbie; 10-17-2010, 04:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It makes higher peak hp at ridiculously high rpms. The r6 motor is completely useless on the street, I rode a 2007 r6 for a day and it was the nicest looking piece of **** I've ever ridden. Brakes were nice, the bike's just too much of a *****

Comment

It makes higher peak hp at ridiculously high rpms. The r6 motor is completely useless on the street, I rode a 2007 r6 for a day and it was the nicest looking piece of **** I've ever ridden. Brakes were nice, the bike's just too much of a *****
                          Ive actually heard the same thing. From what Ive read the 05-06 R6s were the best... I like the Ninja, but damn that R6 is sooo sexy.

Comment

just get a used hyabusa....best of all worlds...minus the sporty turning... 08+ are better at turning though. lotsa power, comfortable (close to kat), suzuki, lots aftermarket, FI, different modes to help limit power...and.....you wont want to "upgrade" anytime soon for more!
                            03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
                            04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
                            08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
                            10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
                            05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Originally posted by phil823 View Post
                              just get a used hyabusa....best of all worlds...minus the sporty turning... 08+ are better at turning though. lotsa power, comfortable (close to kat), suzuki, lots aftermarket, FI, different modes to help limit power...and.....you wont want to "upgrade" anytime soon for more!
                              True, but thats just upgrading to a fat pig with a bigger engine. A Hayabusa will never handle like a SS 600.

Jason, the R6 is definitely pure sex to look at. I like to ride my bike though, and the feel of that bike is just pure ew.

Comment

Working...
                              X