X

good ST bikes ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meanstrk View Post
    but if you get one with problems, they can be a nightmare.
    Bummer.

That's a bike I've been pondering.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I know you mentioned parts availability for the SV1000....but seriously, I doubt you'd ever have any trouble getting parts for a suzuki. Certainly no worse than a triumph (which isn't bad either).

One thing to keep in mind, I thought the SV1000 (the s model with clip ons and a fairing) had a VERY sporting riding position. not exactly perfect for 500 mile days. they are plenty comfortable, but in the end, I still thought it felt like a sportbike.

I used to have a bandit 1200....it was great. I never had a problem with the weight, but that's up to you I guess. Oh, and I'll bet the bandit will out-torque just about any v-twin on your list. When I dynoed mine, it had an almost perfectly flat torque curve, from 3000 rpm up to 9,000 rpm, about 75 lbft the entire way. I can't even think of many sporting vtwins that can match that! My wife loved the bandit too, plenty comfy for her (although it was no goldwing).

My vote on your list though? The VFR. seriously, ride one and then make a decision. They're one of the best bikes i've ever ridden, well made, reliable, and plenty fast. I'm ashamed I haven't owned one yet

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
        Bummer.

That's one of the reason's I'm on a Triumph now, and not the Futura.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
          Bummer.

I have had my Futura now for 4 1/2 years, with no troubles at all. I did all of the recommended and necessary mods as soon as i got it, and has not let me down yet. The bike is a little top heavy, and wish i could lower the seat height a little, other than that, great bike. But, like Ron said, parts are not exactly readily available, and unless you do all your own work, good luck finding someone good to do your repairs, right.
          Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

I'm like the Bandit, ZRX, FZ1, CBR1000F, ZZR12, VFR800, or ZX11 (95 or newer). I like my Kat1100 but it is a bit under-powered and could use suspension mods, it's a bit soft stock. As far as weight, if your going to be doing a little touring, A little weight is not really a bad thing unless it's too much. I'm not much into v-twins, I prefer the V4 configuration.

just my .02
            The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by ne-oublie View Post
              The bike is a little top heavy
              Speaking of top heavy, Aprilia's Caponord is top heavy. However, that's a really nice bike.

Comment

Sounds like this is the bike for you...

and with only 3300 miles. get the full fairing kit and you're all set.

Or this one...

Last edited by CenCalKat; 08-25-2009, 08:26 PM.
                2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                BMC Notorious 918 HT
                2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post

Ohhhh...those copper ones are sexy.

Comment

or if you're willing to go a little bit heavier the Honda ST 1300 are AMAZING. ok so it's slightly more than a little bit heavier, but it's got tons of usable torque and very comfy.
                    I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
                    --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

i still think the vfr is the one . maybe you took a ride on one with problems . everything i've read says these bikes are the ones to beat . i looked at all these bikes and as far as looks the vfr looks the best . and from what i read you can knock off close to 20 lbs by getting aftermarket exhaust cans . a few suspension mods and good tires and your're there .

Comment

Have you tried riding some bikes that aren't considered "Sport Touring"?

I've found that regardless of height, weight etc, that every rider is TOTALLY different on what they think is comfortable.

I was all ready to buy a SV before I got the Kat....

Not comfy.

And why V-twin? If it's sound, I can understand that it's your money and your ride...

But don't overlook a few bikes that might shock you.

I did 150+ miles on a last gen F4I and I'm sold. Great, smooth power, not too soft on the bottom end at lower revs, feels like a feather in the twisties, and is surprisingly stable at speed on the slab.

Good thing I rode the later "Banana seat" model. I had ridden an earlier model and it wasn't comfy AT ALL.

I've ridden the SV1K....and to be honest, IF the local dealer wasn't an idiot, and had come down on price (BRAND new unsold SV1KS) I probably would have bought it. But the EFI on the SV wasn't anywhere as smooth as the F4I (which was stock).

The only thing I've ridden that I would really consider buying (unless a GREAT deal dropped in my lap of course) is the 5th gen VFR...

Comment

I have ridden an sv 650 and my buddy has a harley that i ride every now and again. ive ridden quite a few inline fours (gsxrs, fz6, kats, b12 ) and aside from the bandit 1200 i feel the inline 4s are lacking in the lower rpms compaired to a vtwin. on a vtwin when i twist the throttle back it trys to take off with out me and it's instant. ya know. on a inline 4 when im exiting a corner a gear low , exiting a parking lot , or even passing a car at ~20 -30 it feels like im turning the throttle and relitively nothing is happening.... till about 5-7rpm depending on what bike then it finally gets into its powerband. it seems like a waist of time to wait for an opertune moment to accelerate. not to mention they just sound cool....

i have never ridden a vrf but im not really a big honda fan. but its on my list cause i keep hearing its one of the best. i plan on test riding one of each of these bikes before i comit to buying one.
                          Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                          Tony
                          94 Katana 600

Comment

Of the many bikes I've owned, loved my 97 1100 blackbird. Not a great ergo bike for 400 mile days. Best ST had to be 2001 K1200RS. At 6'1 I liked the height and didn't really notice the extra 40lbs over the kat 1100 now riding. Great luggage options, no chain, good suspension but dealer maintenance costs were a killer. Hope to do most of service on the Kat. Half or more of my riding is two up so I need the extra displacement and room. Going to try and have a backrest fabbed as factory seat is reasonably comvortable. Any suggestions for a luggage rack I could strap a t-bag on?

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                              i have never ridden a vrf but im not really a big honda fan. but its on my list cause i keep hearing its one of the best. i plan on test riding one of each of these bikes before i comit to buying one.
                              Gotta chime in... 'cause I just went from a Pre-Kat to a 5th Gen VFR. It weighs about 50 lbs more, but also cranks about 20 more hp than the Post Kat 750; ergos are comparable, favoring the VFR... V4 growl (go 2Bro slip on and it's like hearing music every time you turn the key); gear driven cams; FI; LBS; very good for 2-up (though I'd recommend a shock swap if you're larger than your average japanese rider) and all day riding.

(and they make a supercharger kit for it... mwwahahahahaha)

If you're considering a VFR, can't say I'd recommend the 6th Gen (it's likely beyond your budget and then there's that stupid V-tech), though it is by most accounts prettier than the 5th.

The 5th Gen (1998 - 2001) can be had in exceptional shape for well under $5K.
                              "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

+1 on the VFR. Water cooled to make that V4 exhaust note even cooler! I had an 84 VF700F with a V+H Street-Comp 4-1 and I never did get tired of that sound.

Another one to look at if you're trying to keep the budget under control and can live with carbs is a GSX1100G. It's the 1100 Kat engine with shaft drive in a naked ST frame. (Long wheelbase, very comfortable ergos on the HW although the weight makes it a bit of a booger around town if you're a little guy like me.) MONSTER power! Suzuki only imported them to the US from 1991-1993 but good ones are out there now for ~$2500.
                                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                                X