X

Exhaust questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust questions

Alright i got my kat and it had a pipe on it already how do I verify if it is the full system or just a slip-on? It is a yoshi RS-3 I believe

Well, first we need to know what year your Katana is. That will narrow it down real quick. If it is a "pre" or prior to 1998 it came from the factory with dual exhausts. So if it only has one, then it is either a full system or someone switched over to a "post" (1998 and newer) exhaust header. If your bike is a 1998 or newer you can look at the header pipes where they come out of the engine and look for any crossover pipes. Another way to know is by looking at the diameter of the pipes coming off the engine. You can take a tape measure or ruler and give us a measurement and we should be able to help you out more.

Sorry I can't just answer your question, but we need more information first.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

What are the advantages and dissadvantages? I ride a 1991 with dual pipes, but picked up a used scuffed up yoshi can that I want to put on. How will I do it? Look for a 1998 and newer 4 into 1 exaust header (is this a system?) or how would I go about it? Are the better ways to get more power and furl milage?

cheers,

Juice

Comment

The newer Kat uses a 4 into 1 header that has a "slip fit" end to accept the "slip on" style muffler and mid-pipe. You can identify the stock header by a crossover pipe midway down the tubes for cylinders 2 and 3. The aftermarket systems advantage would be weight for sure and some may produce more power once jetted correctly.

Comment

Sorry I forgot about that. it's been a while since I've messed around on any forums and asked questions about parts. It is a 1998 suzuki Kat 600

Comment

No problem ceanern. But we still need more information because now we know it came factory with a single sided header. You still need to look for either that crossover pipe mentioned right above your last post or measure the diameter of the pipe coming off the front of the engine for us to tell you for sure if you have a "full system" or a slip on.

Juice - If you read through some of the posts in this section you will learn all you need to learn about exhaust systems on these Katanas. Every question you asked is covered over and over in here.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
            who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

will do that when I get back out to my garage just got the new shoe's put on the bike only thing is it isn't balanced yet. cause the shop i took it to and will not recommend to anyone said they couldn't get it in to be done until the 30th of the month.

Comment

looking like just a slip-on cause it has the cross-over pipe

Comment

Working...
                X