No announcement yet.
X

$1500 for a head job? REALLY?!?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised no one really pointed out the obvious. Well on person kind of did.

His engine won't run. I have never seen an engine with a blown head gasket that wouldn't run. Well maybe one that had been running with a blown head gasket until all the water leaked out and then it kept running for another 10 minutes. You get want I mean though. If this thing blew recently, the bike would still start. Being oil cooled, it would probably run forever with a blown gasket as long as the oil didn't all leak out.

Secondly, Who swaps carbs to check for a blown head gasket. That's a lot work and it still doesn't tell you if it's blown.

If I suspected a blown head gasket, I would pull the plugs and look at them for signs of oil. Then while they're out I would do a compression test. Much quicker than changing carbs and I would know instantly if the head gasket were blown or if it might be blown.

Comment

When the shop said "head job" they aren't talking about a head gasket. Jesus Christ, who charges $1500 for a head gasket. They meant a valve job. And yes, I've seen bikes not run with the valves that out of whack.

Comment

Find a new shop !

simple bike wont run its missing either spark, fuel or compression.
        compression test will tell you if your valves are ok enough to run, pulling the cover will tell you if any are bent (huge gap) if you have even 60psi across all 4 it will run.
        unless the timing jumped and smashed a bunch of valves i doubt thats the issue. Even with a blown head gasket i can get them to start and run.

If the bike is showing signs of oil on the cylinders, clean it well with brake cleaner then check where its leaking from 95% of the time oil around the head gasket is acyually from the weep hole from the sparkplug well. A leaky valve cover gasket(s) around the wells allows oil to run down and then out just above the headgasket area, from there it will migrate all around the cyl head.
        My guess if they say they need to swap carbs to check things the suspect its a fuel issue. But a good shop/mechanic knows you dont even need carbs on the engine to get and engine to run/fire on fuel.

I seldom ever completely rebuild and entire head. if a valve/seat is damaged or guide worn... replace it. what parts are still good and within specs need not be touched. A quick lap and its good. $1500 is crazy for a low mileage engine that likely dose not need a complete rebuild of all components.
        As far as the oil cooler... its not going to kill the engine without it. But its there fir reliability. It helps control the oil temps. Many of the GS /GSX engines never used oil coolers depending on the make/model. I would run one but if I had to bypass it to get me home I would with no problem.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
          I seldom ever completely rebuild and entire head. if a valve/seat is damaged or guide worn... replace it. what parts are still good and within specs need not be touched. A quick lap and its good.
          See?

Comment

ok, status update. i went to the shop today and found that it does start and run albeit that it needs alot of work to get roadworthy. found out its carbs on it are off who know what... they are huge compared to the stock carbs, plus they are cali emissions spec. the rear rim is off, again, who knows what. no markings to speak of as being chromed, but did find out it is a 6" wide rim with a brand new conti 180/55r17. needs valves adjusted and looked to be the valve cover was never removed (perfect condition bolts, no marks indicating a tool ever touched them) 26k and never a valve adj? i really dont know where to go with this thing i just bought. i only have $300 in the purchase of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyfan View Post
              ok, status update. i went to the shop today and found that it does start and run albeit that it needs alot of work to get roadworthy. found out its carbs on it are off who know what... they are huge compared to the stock carbs, plus they are cali emissions spec. the rear rim is off, again, who knows what. no markings to speak of as being chromed, but did find out it is a 6" wide rim with a brand new conti 180/55r17. needs valves adjusted and looked to be the valve cover was never removed (perfect condition bolts, no marks indicating a tool ever touched them) 26k and never a valve adj? i really dont know where to go with this thing i just bought. i only have $300 in the purchase of the bike.

If you have a chromed 6" rim in good shape with new tire, properly modded swingarm setup on that kat... you could part just that rear end for about $1k (swingarm, rim, tire, and misc. parts)....

Jus sayn...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

no idea if the arms been modified. saw some weird set up on it like thick washers on the caliper bolts to relocate it i guess. some washers on the axle ect. a real engineered modification?!?!?

Comment

If the swingarm wasn't modified, I don't see how a 6" rim with a 180 tire would work too well.

Comment

no idea if the arms been modified. saw some weird set up on it like thick washers on the caliper bolts to relocate it i guess. some washers on the axle ect. a real engineered modification?!?!?

Gonna guess and say no... it's not be set up right.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

how do i tell if its been modified? is there a measurement i can take ?

Comment

how do i tell if its been modified? is there a measurement i can take ?

some clear pics of it and measure inside to inside on the arms. With that info I can tell if you if it's modified, how it's modified, and if it's even a stock arm they are using.

krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Huge carbs?
                          im guessing early GSXR carbs !
                          might be a GSXR engine in there
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                          X