i added changing the oil to my how-to's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i added changing the oil to my how-to's

for most of us we could do this in our sleep - but for the first timer
    here's how it's done ( how it do it anyway )

tim

looks informative and straight forward, and for those nervous about doing it yourself, its not hard at all, its seomthing you can do with ease.
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Originally posted by steve
      looks informative and straight forward, and for those nervous about doing it yourself, its not hard at all, its seomthing you can do with ease.
      You know, I always thought the same way....that a monkey could be trained to do an oil change. NOT TRUE! There is this guy that I grew up with...a lifetime buddy...and while all the rest of us went into the "trades" for a career, he took accounting. He always used to say it would work out good cuz he would do my books and I could fix his car. I told him to forget it because he would have alot more probs with his car than I would with my books. Anyway, he calls me up one day saying he needed my help...that he was changing his oil and something went wrong. So I went over. What a mess the oil filter was in. He reefed the hell out of it...tightening instead of loosening. So I got under the car and spun it off for him...then I had to run cuz I had an appointment. Then the dummy ended up making a mess of a crank seal because he did not drain the oil. The only oil that was removed came from when the filter was off. He said the guy at the parts store said he need 5 liters of oil...and 5 liters he put in....with the 4 or so that was already in there.

My point? Some people are just not meant to touch tools...period!
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
        Originally posted by steve
        You know, I always thought the same way....that a monkey could be trained to do an oil change. NOT TRUE! There is this guy that I grew up with...a lifetime buddy...and while all the rest of us went into the "trades" for a career, he took accounting. He always used to say it would work out good cuz he would do my books and I could fix his car. I told him to forget it because he would have alot more probs with his car than I would with my books. Anyway, he calls me up one day saying he needed my help...that he was changing his oil and something went wrong. So I went over. What a mess the oil filter was in. He reefed the hell out of it...tightening instead of loosening. So I got under the car and spun it off for him...then I had to run cuz I had an appointment. Then the dummy ended up making a mess of a crank seal because he did not drain the oil. The only oil that was removed came from when the filter was off. He said the guy at the parts store said he need 5 liters of oil...and 5 liters he put in....with the 4 or so that was already in there.

My point? Some people are just not meant to touch tools...period!
        OMG

How can someone be that incompetent???
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

thats funny!! i do all my own stuff (as much as i can). so i hope i don't fall under the "don't touch ANY tools" catagory. i have a friend though who i ride with.... whenever he's wrenching on his bike and i am there, i have to tell him "thats the wrong way to turn it". i can't imagine what happens when i'm not there.
          if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

I have a friend like that...he probably would mess up the oil change not by not knowing but by using the wrong tools to do the oil change...instead of getting out the ratchet set to take off bolts he would take a pair of pliers, hobby pliers as a matter of fact, and try to torque off the bolt...when the bolt is finally round he then gives up and take his car into the mechanic...yeah I can understand where you are coming from...
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

good stuff... the only way to learn is by doing, right!

Comment

First thing I did after buying the bike was change the oil myself. I like doing all I can. It's not that hard and pretty fun learning and doing it yourself. Granted I have help from friends and family, but still its us doing it, learning, and having fun doing the work. It takes no time at all, to change the oil & filter on the bike.
                Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                Katana

Comment

Working...
                X