X

Taking things too far, again.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lunatic View Post
    Your machining skills are awesome. Your carpet and wallpaper, not so much. Lol. Great work so far.
    LOL Thank you for the compliment. You're entirely correct about the carpet and wallpaper! Interior decor is the reason I could afford this house that has two garages and a nice setting. I should try to clean the place up a bit and see if anyone is interested in a KR BBQ this summer in the Allentown area.

Anyway, I got back to work, and things have been hectic since then. I'm either working (nights, which sucks), or working on this bike. I tried to update once, but it was right as the site was updated, so that post got deleted.

Let's see ... I finally made the lower triple.

I have the swingarm kind of made. I'm almost done with mounting the engine currently, and then I'll be able to better plan the exact path of the chain, and then add more material to the swingarm to help make it more rigid with a spot for the chain to pass through. Here is how it sat for the first time as a rolling chassis.

The needle roller bearing/thrust bearing setup for the swingarm with the preload from that threaded collar works amazingly well. Such smooth motion with no play. That's the R6 shock mounted. The most recent pic I have has the engine sitting on scrap I-beam pieces just for visual. I currently have the lower mount done, and have the upper mount ready to just weld together. I also have the top two tabs welded for bolting a rear subframe to. In just a short time, I'll have the upper mount and other tabs welded on tonight. Maybe finish the subframe as well.

I've made plates to weld to the rear of the vertical portions for providing adjustable bolt points for rearsets. Need to make the rearsets. I have all the controls on the way. I have the oil cooler that I still need to make mounts for. I just received the stainless steel tubing for attempting to make an exhaust, as well as sheet aluminum for the outer portion of the muffler, and potentially making a fuel tank/cell out of. At this point, for full funtionality, I think I only have just a couple things to purchase. Rear brake hose, hoses and banjo fittings for the oil cooler. For now, and for testing, I may just use the new K&N air filter that I had gotten for the CRF because it fits, but I'm still thinking about making an actual air box so I'm not screwed if I end up having to do a race in the rain (yes, I can get rain race tires as well).

I've already rebuilt the forks with the Racing Bros cartridge kits. Essentially the same things as the Ohlins kit, but slightly more expensive, only one set of springs. BUT, I have external clickers for compression and rebound now, which the Ohlins doesn't offer, plus a tiny amount of spring preload available externally as well. After getting the kit, I realized that it wouldn't allow me to gain the extra inch of travel as I had planned on, which the Ohlins kit would have let me do. So I did what any normal person would do. I ordered 12mm ground finish rod, bored it out the same size, added the threads and valving holes, and made my own dampening rods to hold the new cartridge valves that were an inch longer!

It's taking longer than I had envisioned, partly because I'm back at work. Partly because I hadn't really thought about having to make every single piece like threaded tabs to weld on for subframe mounting or shock mounting, etc. And yes, I did made the entire swingarm, including all the parts for the axle adjusters.

Also, just to point out, I'm in the building phase. Once everything is made/mounted, including tabs for mounting fairings, then I'm going to actually do the finish work. I'll make some of the welds less ugly and stuff like that.

Comment

Looking good
      I want one too

“Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
      Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
      ― Douglas Adams

Comment

More updates. The other day when I woke up (still on nights), it was warm, and going to get dark soon, so I hurried up and took the bike outside, pushed it up my driveway, and rode it downhill, with no foot pegs and no working brakes. On the plus side, it's stable, and it wants to turn. On the down side, I'm now even more impatient about wanting to try this thing under power. Another up side is I finally got a picture that gives this thing a sense of scale, behind my car.

I have since added the front brake line, bled it, and have that working. I've also been picking up some new tricks for machining, and working on making some rear sets. In this next pic, the main bracket is all one piece, including the round standoffs.

The oval slot is for the peg. I'm doing one M10 bolt in the center of the peg, and the levers (brake and shifter) are going to use the peg as a mount on the reduced diameter. I decided that if the peg would somehow get mildly loose, I don't want it to be able to rotate, so I milled some tiny flats so even if it's not quite finger tight, it still can't rotate. Essentially, I have both sides done except for the levers. Here's the brake side, complete with the plate that will make them adjustable that will get welded to the frame. Oh, and yes, I made the pegs too.

Comment

Update time again!

I've gotten a lot more done, while seemingly taking forever and because of that, feeling like it's dragging on forever.

I finally made the levers. The brake side is a little smaller than the shifter due to the kick start lever needing to clear the tab sticking out. I've neglected taking any close up of the brake side, but here's a couple for the shifter. Plus, it's easily swappable from normal shift to GP shift. It's in GP configuration in these pictures.

I then made the pieces for mounting the oil cooler, and needed to flip the frame over so it would be easier to weld onto the bottom of the frame, so I pulled the engine and swingarm, and disassembled everything except the front suspension. I don't really have any good pics of the oil cooler mount process, but while I had that out, I also reinforced the swingarm. Decided to try to eliminate bad flex before test riding.

Mocking it up. You can also see the UHMW chain slider I made.

All the junk on the table under/around the swingarm is just so I can get it to where I can see the area to weld easier, and have my torch hand resting on something to allow me to have a more consistent gap. Straight line welding has become rather easy. Welding on round tubing, especially as small as 3/4" diameter is not as easy.

While welding the oil cooler mounts, I also made some brackets to mount the ignition coil, the CDI, and also a few small places to be able to wire tie the wiring harness to the frame. Started reassembly. Luckily, the chain clears through the window that I made for it!

And finally, just so you can all laugh at me and call me old just quiet enough that I can't hear what you're saying, this is how I have to read the stamping on carb jets now, apparently. Take a picture and zoom in.

I've since added a rear brake hose (haven't added fluid or bled it yet, gonna delete the reservoir first). I also now have enough hose clamps to finish plumbing the oil cooler in. Picked up the two electrical connectors I needed to complete the kill switch. I currently have the rear shock disassembled as well. I needed a stiffer spring. In order to mount the aftermarket springs (Race Tech), I also needed to swap out the ramp style adjuster for a threaded body adjuster. To fit that onto the body, I had to pull the shaft because that wouldn't fit over the lower clevis. While disassembling, I found that the bottom out bumper was rotted. So despite having everything else I need, that part is being delivered tomorrow. Then I can reassemble that. I think I'm going to trade in the tiny bottle I have for my mig welder for a nitrogen bottle and be able to charge the shock myself. That way once I can start testing, I can modify the shim stacks without having to worry about getting it charged again (the place that can do it is cheap, but an hour away). Once I have the shock done, all I need is an exhaust, and a gas tank and I can test it out!

Comment

I wish I had half of your time and skill, I have to half redneck my stuff...lol
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              I wish I had half of your time and skill, I have to half redneck my stuff...lol
              Thank you, though I am burning way more time on this than I had imagined, and more than I should. I'm imminently going to be shifting into getting several things done for other people. This is just my guilty pleasure that I can't seem to turn away from. Just got the shock put back together. I still need to charge it with nitrogen tomorrow, but it was good enough to get it on the bike and set the preload. Honestly, I think I may need one size up on the spring weight, but we'll see.

Also, with everything on it except for an exhaust I need to build, a gas tank, and plastics, I can still pick it up. I think it's still just a tad less than the pocket bike for weight, but much larger, and probably about double the power. If it's not raining Sunday, I'll take it in to work and weigh it on a pallet scale.

Comment

Working...
              X