X

Track day at Gingerman-Michigan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track day at Gingerman-Michigan

Packed up, be on the track Sunday 6-19-16.

great looking bike. I loved tracking mine. Although I had to ride my bike to the track first LOL.

Comment

Hope all went well and you enjoyed the track experience
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

I did not crash!

Thanks! Yeah, no damage to my bike, it ran killer great!
        Some guys crashed, nobody hurt. 'Cept one of the coaches totaled his bike_major financial bummer he ain't got any more money than me.
        I bought some photos from the track photog, will post those next week when available.
        Coach said I was doing real good, I was in the mid level novice group.
        Last edited by buffalobill; 06-20-2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Lookin' medium fast, glad I have this photo. I see I'm not at all leaned out much, I was fooling myself. Now I can work on that.

Comment

You're looking good! Glad you had some safe fun like that. I'd just like to remind you for when you work on it that getting your upper body into a correct position makes a bigger impact than the lower body. You can get some practice by just gripping the bike with your knees for stability, and leaning your upper body out to get a little of a feel for it. For doing the whole leaning off thing, the part that makes the biggest difference is to take it easy at first, and find how your feet have to be on the pegs for the ergonomics of it to work good. Once you find that, make sure you get your feet there while you're setting up for the turn so that when it's time for leaning off and turning in, your feet are already in position.

When you get to where you're leaning off really far, and leaning the bike over really far, you need to be smooth with the throttle, and it's a totally different movement depending on which direction you're leaning.

Keep on having fun!

Comment

Just did a track day July 3, at Grattan Raceway, Michigan

Not my video, but gives a good idee how intense this track is, with blind corners, up and down hills, and turn 3, freaky blind reverse camber left.
              BTW: I had me olde Kat up to 130MPH on the straight , but was chicken wimp through turn 3.
              Funny, showing up with my 26 year old Katana, was like going to a wedding in a 26 year old suit_
              Last edited by buffalobill; 07-07-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

What's the price tag on a track day there?
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

$160 for non members.
                  Riding your motorcycle on the track is the most exciting and safest way to ride your motorcycle, and we guarantee that a Sportbike Track Time track day event will be unforgettable. A closed circuit course (race track) is the only place you can ride your sportbike and experience the true power and beauty of your machine without worrying about speed limits, traffic, or speeding tickets! Our events are open to riders of all skill levels, from beginners to experts, and our event formats are designed to give each rider maximum time on track and exceptional coaching! Our motorcycle riding instruction will leave you feeling like a better, safer, faster and more confident rider! Check out our track day event schedule for events in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, South Carolina & Wisconsin!

Comment

That's not horrible. Do you have a coach at your disposal as well? I've been kicking around the idea of doing a track day. Especially after joining the gixxer.Com forum. That's all they talk about over there. Makes me wanna do it!
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Yes I'm still a novice, mid level. You're a novice too so you must be part of a coaches group, but you can choose what level you think you can manage. If you do well you can move up to a faster coach, or be moved down if you or they think so.
                      You need to bring your bike in a truck or trailer, because a few people crash every track day. Usually without injury, only a scuffed bike.
                      Once you ride track, you'll never go back, to thinking street riding is fast.
                      PS:
                      You can ride to one of the track days, pay the entrance fee $10, and just walk around, see it all and talk to anybody. I did that a couple times just to understand what it's all about.
                      Last edited by buffalobill; 07-07-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

That's a big hindrance for me. If I still had the kat, I'd be much more for the idea. I built that thing from the ground up. I knew it's ins and outs. This gixxer is twice the horsepower, 100 lbs lighter, and about 5 times more expensive. I'd hate to low side it... Or worse.

Plus I just got it in January and unfortunately haven't rode as much as I'd like this year so we still have some getting to know each other to get under my belt before I could even kinda justify tracking it.

But until this passed winter, I didnt even know there were track day tracks in Michigan. Lol
                        Last edited by maniac1886; 07-07-2016, 11:44 AM.
                        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Hey Buff, sounds like quite an accomplishment for you. I'm a little envious. However, yesterday I did back my new Cab Cadet canary yellow lawn tractor down from the back of our Tundra using aluminum ramps and didn't flip it.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Right Zuma, utbe's full of videos, guys fuking that up!
                            Or guys trying to ride their bike up a steep ramp into a truck, then falling over_meh

Comment

No, I didn't.....
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X