Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Chain SNAPPED :((. Masterlink failure, front sprocket cover broken.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain SNAPPED :((. Masterlink failure, front sprocket cover broken.

So last week I had a buddy of mine put on a new chain on my Kat. It's a 2005 600. I've had her for about a year now and absolute love it. Ran perfect for 4 days. Did probably a hundred miles in that time. It was tensioned right. I was on the highway going around 65. I guess the Masterlink failed because the chain broke getting piled into the front sprocket case shattering it into many pieces. I was in 6th gear at the time and the motor stalled out immidiately and I rolled to the side of the road. I have a new front sprocket case with new bolts. In the case the clutch pin broke where it rotates into the black seal that operates the clutch. I have a new clutch pin with seems thicker then the hole that goes to the clutch, the one I bought has the + ends that rotates, am I missing a piece the pushes the + end pin? What are my options here? I am mechanically sane and would like to replace the pin and front sprocket cover myself. Does anyone have a schematic of the clutch? Anyone have a similar problem in the past. Anything will help. Thank you for the read. I hate to have my Kat broken like this:/

Not sure what you mean by "+ end" of the pin

But that rubber piece on the engine is just an oil seal, it's supposed to be a tight fit. Do you have any bits of your old pin to measure? Worst case scenario,
    If the new one is too thick, you can chuck it in a drill and run it against a file and basically sand it down some. Or order the correct part. Btw, where were you able to get a new cover so quickly? This happened 4 days ago and you already have a new one - didnt think any dealers would carry those on a bike this old and rare.

When your buddy installed your chain, what type of master link did he use? A clip one or a rivet one? The clip ones suck and are going to break. Or fall off. The rivet ones are usually solid. Unless they get riveted too much and the chain can't pivot freely. Over doing the riveting will kill a chain pretty quick.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I might have exaggerated a week. Got a new cover off eBay, two day delivery. Im guessing he installed a clip on masterlink. As for the new clutch push pin that snapped it's definitely thinner then the one I ordered. Is there a thinner pin that pushes a second pin when applying the clutch? The pin I ordered that is too large is about 6" long and has a cross pattern on either end facing outward, so it can rotate aswell as push inward. Anyone have a good deal on a 2005 Kat manual?

Comment

You got the internal rod, the external clutch pin is about 3" long. Been there. Use http://www.bikebandit.com or http://www.ronayers.com fische for the correct part. Clip type masters are crap, I only use them as an emergency part.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

You need part #19
          Part 18 is what you have - it's completely internal to the engine though.

As far as the manual, we used to have those available for download in our wiki but the server mods are doing some work so the entire wiki is down at the moment...

Edit:
          Ha junker beat me to it

Ask here for the manual:
          Last edited by shpielers; 02-28-2015, 12:46 PM.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

The manual downloads stopped working some time ago... I think TMOD moved his server or some shit like that.. He was nice enought to carry those files for us. Matbe I'll offer then on a CD or stick for the cost of the media.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-28-2015, 01:08 PM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Was this a cheap chain from china ?

Comment

Doesn't matter if it was the greatest chain ever made. If it had a clip type master link it's going to fail every time.

Comment

I have manuals stored on a google drive until the wiki gets figured out. Pm me for login info
                  My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Awesome thank you 92xjunker I just ordered the part offline can't wait to get it all fixed up. Maniac I appriciate it man I'll pm you. I should have got a manual along time ago.

Comment

Yeah it's was a Vital motorsport blue chain. eBay . Last time I use a second hand chain, not to mention that shit clip on. I'll be putting on the new chain myself. I'll have to buy a chain link compression tool

Comment

It's not hard to do man, it's much better. From now on, always go the route.

Comment

DID. And RK make good chains. Good ones are more expensive but worth it. FAR less likely to break, and will last longer.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Good thing you were able to coast to a stop, it could have been far worse of an event. Invest in a rivet tool, you may only use it a few times, but it is worth it in the long run.
                            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                              DID. And RK make good chains. Good ones are more expensive but worth it. FAR less likely to break, and will last longer.
                              They are only as good as the weakest link, in this case it was a clip, rivet master and tool are a must in this case.
                              2002 750 Kat
                              2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                              1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                              2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X