X

2014 Eastern Mini Roadracing Championship

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Eastern Mini Roadracing Championship

June 21 & 22 outside Pittsburgh, PA. (Pittsburgh International Raceway)

I know the Katana isn't a mini bike, and this is a regional event, but the New Jersey Mini Gran Prix group drives 6+ hours for this facility, and the Ohio Mini Roadracing League meets them there. It's a great time if anyone wants to come out and race, or to spectate.

in 2013, we had a 4 yr old dragging knee on a 50cc pocket bike, and an AMA pro flat-tracker putting on a hell of a show in the supermoto class.

SATURDAY will be run as a track day from noon to 6:00 PM. Last year the track time was divided so that said AMA supermoto rider wasn't running over guys on NSF's and YSR's during practice. But I can assure you that you will get a ton of laps in for the money spent.

SUNDAY is race day. There is no license fee for this event. Morning practice serves as a qualifying session, so that all riders are gridded fairly for the heat race. Our normal format is 2 heats, but qualifying takes up the time that the first heat would ordinarily run, so it's a 1-heat event.

I ride two classes (4 heats normally, 2 for this event), and will be sore as shit on Monday.

The track allows (encourages) camping. I think there's a $15 fee for that, but I don't remember for sure. They have clean shower facilities, and bathrooms that wives and girlfriends should have no objections to using. Power in the paddock is extremely limited. I would plan to rent a garage, or bring a generator if you want power. We rented a garage last year, but I'm not sure we will this year. It was nice to run fans all day, but our garage space isolated us from the rest of the paddock, and we missed out on a lot of hanging out as a result.

I'm trying to find a DVD copy of "Faster" to project on the side of someone's trailer, or on one of the garage doors. There will also be a BBQ Saturday evening. PA has messed up laws on where you can buy beer, so plan accordingly.

Post questions or comments here - would love to meet some Kat Riders at this event!
    Last edited by rk97; 06-04-2014, 12:38 PM. Reason: screwed up the race schedule!
    -Chris
    **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Used to race in the California Mini Road Race Association in the 90's. Had a blast. We raced Yamaha YSR 50's and raced on go kart tracks. It got popular enough that we had starting grids up to 29 bikes. I ended up running an XR75 motor on alcohol. It was fun doing night races with blue flames shooting out the tailpipe.

Comment

At this point, I can't say whether or not I'll make it. I'm still trying to get mine ready for this weekend. Don't know if it will happen. Just out of curiosity, what classes do you run? What kind of bike/bikes?

If I go, it'll be that X-19 that I've modified almost all of, and put the 125cc into. I'd be running in the F1 class if I make it.

Comment

I only run Stock XR/CRF 100, and our club's "formula 3" class. (100cc 4-stroke, most mods allowed). I ride the same stock XR100 in both classes.

For OMRL, F1 is fastest. For NJ MiniGP, I believe they number their stuff 'backward' and F3 or F4 is their fast class, but I could be wrong on that.

Supermoto and stock XR/CRF are the same rules for both clubs though. In fact, our class rule structure is pretty much the same for all the different "formulas," but not always the same name.

we had 26 stock XR's at round 1 for OMRL. 18 experts and 8 novices. I'm hoping we can get 20 of them to PIRC, and then the NJ crew brings another 15 or so. It will be an epic battle.

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
        Used to race in the California Mini Road Race Association in the 90's. Had a blast. We raced Yamaha YSR 50's and raced on go kart tracks. It got popular enough that we had starting grids up to 29 bikes. I ended up running an XR75 motor on alcohol. It was fun doing night races with blue flames shooting out the tailpipe.

The Ohio Mini Roadracing League was founded as the Ohio YSR League, but changed names when they expanded the class structure.

I've only been involved in the club since last year, but I wish I'd done it a long time ago. Racing 600's just destroyed my budget. I was lucky enough to not suffer any major injuries to my body, but boy does it hurt to watch a 600 cartwheel through the grass at 90mph. With the XR, I can replace the whole bike for a grand, and most crashes don't result in any damage. It just can't go fast enough and doesn't weigh enough to hurt itself.

this is from Saturday (not at PIRC). I get a crap start, and spend the next 8 laps trying to get around a slower rider.

should have been more aggressive earlier. [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrsCAhFHgNI&list=UUctzS1JCxW0L-Gyf9VTsotw&feature=share&index=1"]OMRL 5/17/14 Stock XR - Race 1 - On-board with #524 - YouTube[/nomedia]
        Last edited by rk97; 05-20-2014, 09:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        -Chris
        **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by rk97 View Post
          I only run Stock XR/CRF 100, and our club's "formula 3" class. (100cc 4-stroke, most mods allowed). I ride the same stock XR100 in both classes.

For OMRL, F1 is fastest. For NJ MiniGP, I believe they number their stuff 'backward' and F3 or F4 is their fast class, but I could be wrong on that.

Supermoto and stock XR/CRF are the same rules for both clubs though. In fact, our class rule structure is pretty much the same for all the different "formulas," but not always the same name.

we had 26 stock XR's at round 1 for OMRL. 18 experts and 8 novices. I'm hoping we can get 20 of them to PIRC, and then the NJ crew brings another 15 or so. It will be an epic battle.

The Ohio Mini Roadracing League was founded as the Ohio YSR League, but changed names when they expanded the class structure.

I've only been involved in the club since last year, but I wish I'd done it a long time ago. Racing 600's just destroyed my budget. I was lucky enough to not suffer any major injuries to my body, but boy does it hurt to watch a 600 cartwheel through the grass at 90mph. With the XR, I can replace the whole bike for a grand, and most crashes don't result in any damage. It just can't go fast enough and doesn't weigh enough to hurt itself.

this is from Saturday (not at PIRC). I get a crap start, and spend the next 8 laps trying to get around a slower rider.

should have been more aggressive earlier. OMRL 5/17/14 Stock XR - Race 1 - On-board with #524 - YouTube
          That brought back some fun memories. My son has an Xr100. It makes me want to put him on a 150, pick up a second Xr100 and go mini road racing with my son. That would be epic.

Comment

I'm still trying to get mine ready. I might make the open practice this weekend. I have JUST tonight finished fitting a full size scooter front brake caliper on my bike, with an oversized 180mm rotor, and the stock 10" wheel. I had to modify the caliper body to get it to fit, make my own 1/4" steel bracket, and it is tight clearances. But, after I get it bled tomorrow, it should brake as good as an SS bike. Ironically, just like the newer motogp style oversized brakes, I need to unbolt the rotor to get the caliper out. LOL

I still haven't run with them, but I know the NJminiGP group has the F1 class as the 120cc vertical motor, the 124cc horizontal motor (which I have, the Lifan with the 4 up pattern, hooked up with a custom shifter as gp style 4 down), and the 63cc 2-stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
              That brought back some fun memories. My son has an Xr100. It makes me want to put him on a 150, pick up a second Xr100 and go mini road racing with my son. That would be epic.
              Do it!

We only have a couple of father/son duos right now. The dad of one of our riders is semi-retired from riding lately though. He's focusing on getting his son faster. Parked the super moto and has been pit crew for the 11 yr old's XR100, NSF100, and his RS125 with an 85 motor in it. They're working on getting him onto a 150R (selling the RS85).

Anyway, I wish my dad had gotten me into riding. I tried to get my dad into bikes when I was 26 or so (a few years after I got my brother to start riding), and he just didn't take to it. Owned a GS500 for about a year, and then sold it for a pretty big loss. Shame.
              -Chris

Comment

Round 3 is in the books, and preparation for PIRC has begun!

I managed a 4th place in F3 on Saturday (highest expert finish to date) and turned a personal best :57.55 lap at Circleville.

PIRC is a longer track, so lap times there are closer to the 1:20 range. Last year's Stock XR winner turned a low 1:13. I will be thrilled if I break into the 1:15's, and pretty pleased with 1:17's... Only managed a 1:20 last year, and then a 1:18 in practice early this year, with the wrong gearing.

It's a faster track than the rest of our series dates, so I drop a couple of teeth in the rear.
                -Chris

Comment

Working...
                X