X

Removing Ignition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Ignition

So, i moved on to replacing the ignion on the 91 750. I have read alot of the threads and the manual. There is no way to chisel these safety torx out, that i can see but to flip it upside down. The tree nuts that hold the triple tree together , or the handle bar assemblt, whatever you like to call it is puzzes me. Is there specific settings that these three bolts have to return too. The two have dials with numbers or can i just unbolt and flip over. Two bolts go into the forks and one in the center. Can u just undo these?

Yup..
    Only remove the two fork clamp that are on the top tree, then take out the stem screw.
    I found that you want to loosen the stem screw a few turns then pulling up on the tree give the stem screw a few whacks with a soft hammer. that will help pop the tree loose.

You're right though, removing completely or flipping the tree is the only way to get the screws out. Paradoxmd and I still spend a good hour getting his out.

After you replace the ignition tighten the stem screw first. Then tighten the fork clamps.

Comment

Oh..

By the way, when you take off the two bolts to the forks dont forget that they shoot off like a f-in rocket out of the garage and half way through the yard.....Nice.... Tried for hrs to back them out, chisel, and screw extractor was a no go. I took the dewalt and sawed the switch off and got to them that way.

Comment

I recently replaced my 89 kat 600 ignition and all I had to do was take out two bolts that held the ignition in then unplug it?

Am I missing something?

-Duo
        Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by mer1978 View Post
          By the way, when you take off the two bolts to the forks dont forget that they shoot off like a f-in rocket out of the garage and half way through the yard.....Nice.... Tried for hrs to back them out, chisel, and screw extractor was a no go. I took the dewalt and sawed the switch off and got to them that way.
          If you are trying to get the ignition switch out, the two screws that hold it together are shear screws. They are designed to break. Just take an old screwdriver and chisel a slot into the screw and back them out. That was how I did mine. I replaced them with cap screws.

Comment

Well..

Well maybe for some reason mine seem to have had locktite in them. They were a PITA let me tell you. There out now though so all is good, now just have to get the tree back on. I think ill do that tommorrow though,lol..Thanks guys for your advice.

Comment

By the way, when you take off the two bolts to the forks dont forget that they shoot off like a f-in rocket out of the garage and half way through the yard.....Nice.... .
              Ummm What?!??!?!
              Are you talking about the fork caps?

They were a PITA let me tell you. .
              Originally posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
              I recently replaced my 89 kat 600 ignition and all I had to do was take out two bolts that held the ignition in then unplug it? Am I missing something?
              They are all over the place. I had a set that practically came out by hand. And I've had ones where they took over an hour. I figure prepare people for the worst..

Comment

i'm a fan of the chisel and screwdriver method, but thats only if u have a chisel and they arent locktited
                89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

i've always had a great deal of luck with a $10 tamper/security bit set from northern, harbour freight, etc. little holder or box with all sorts of hex drive screwdriver bits for the tamper proof security heads. used a screwdriver as a punch to break the security pin out of Lou's helmet holder screw tho, then forced a straight bit into the screw head coz of course Lou couldnt find his key when i got there and i didnt have my set with me. can you guess what we did the rest of that entire day? same basic kinda screw in the ignition
                  Last edited by DumbLuck; 09-19-2009, 12:40 AM.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                  X