No announcement yet.
X

Picking out the right Chain&Sprocket kit brand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you have the stock exhaust can? shouldn't be that loud if you do... my yosh pipe gets crackin and I love that.
    1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

I have the stock can .. the bike isn't loud, but i just thought it would be nice to keep the rpms below 6000 at 130 km/h

Comment

ah, I can barely hear the bike at that speed with all the wind noise, but that might because i'm a bit deaf, but that's another story lol
        1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

I can't withstand wind noise while riding, that's why I always wear ear plugs .. those totally block out the wind noise but not the engine sound.

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
            stock gears are the best unless you drop one up ft and gain pull aways and loose some on top
            There is no "best". There is "best for intended use". I'm running 16/39 because the bike is used 90% for touring. Revs at our legal limit dropped from around 5000rpm to 3900rpm. Economy significantly improved. Much more relaxed. Stock gearing is simply the best compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by raidinmd View Post
              ah, I can barely hear the bike at that speed with all the wind noise..
              That could be your helmet too. My HJC was super noisy, it had the covers over the shield pivot points that created a ton of noise, ear plugs were a must. My new Scorpion is much quieter it has flush attach points for the shield.
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

what model HJC where you using? I just bought a HJC CL17
                1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                  There is no "best". There is "best for intended use". I'm running 16/39 because the bike is used 90% for touring. Revs at our legal limit dropped from around 5000rpm to 3900rpm. Economy significantly improved. Much more relaxed. Stock gearing is simply the best compromise.
                  Exactly! it's all about intended use. I'm a tourer myself, and I'd settle for a 16/44 setup since we're 2 up on most tours so can't afford to loose much torque with 150kg "330 lbs" net weight on the saddle..

At your 16/39 setup, did you have to modify the stock 118 chain length too? what was there to grind off to make the 16 fit?

As for wind noise, I have the Caberg Modus flip up and it's "terrible" when it comes to aerodynamic noise .. I need a flip up, and wish I'd gone for the Nolan N104 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastern Bloc View Post
                    Exactly! it's all about intended use. I'm a tourer myself, and I'd settle for a 16/44 setup since we're 2 up on most tours so can't afford to loose much torque with 150kg "330 lbs" net weight on the saddle..

At your 16/39 setup, did you have to modify the stock 118 chain length too? what was there to grind off to make the 16 fit?
                    My touring load is around 120kg - and that includes a couple of drag-adding hard panniers. Bike copes fine, but recently cruising into a 40 knot head wind was better in 5th gear and about 4500rpm.

114 link chain (on a post Kat) is spot on. ie lose 2 links.

Grinding ... you'll see when you fit it up. It's almost the centre mounting post to the rear of the sprocket which just catches the sprocket. You don't have to cut it right off - just nick out enough so the sprocket spins freely. The sprocket clears the bolt.

However, standard rear sprockets run to 42T, so you could take an easier option and just run 15/42 which will achieve almost the same as 16/44. It's then a cheaper option to swap a 16T into the front if you want to go the next step.

Comment

bumping with another question, so I installed the new chain and sprockets and the RK I got came pre-coated in a heavy white looking grease, should I leave that on or give it a complete chain cleaning and re-lube it with chain wax?
                      1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Originally posted by raidinmd View Post
                        bumping with another question, so I installed the new chain and sprockets and the RK I got came pre-coated in a heavy white looking grease, should I leave that on or give it a complete chain cleaning and re-lube it with chain wax?

At minimal wipe off the excess. (or you will have a nasty mess under the chain cover.)

It's a chain grease, the same stuff they use in side the links. There will be a tiny tube of it for the master link when you assemble it. It's not quite the same as general purpose chain lube. I would clean off the excess and lube the chain going forward with the appropriate lube. If you prefer a really "clean" looking chain with light weight lube, then your gonna wanna do a heavier cleaning for the grease.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

chain cover? what that? lol mine didn't have one when I bought it, been meaning to get one, which ones will fit my post kat?
                          edit: here is a pic of the new sprockets, thanks Jim they look great!
                          Last edited by raidinmd; 03-20-2014, 10:04 PM.
                          1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

He does great work.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

You still haven't got a cover??

Thanks for the props...
                              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I never had one, and with everything else that has been going on with my truck I just haven't had time or money to get it, also still not sure what chain guard fits mine
                                1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Working...
                                X