No announcement yet.
X

Aluminum sprockets suck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the benefit of an aluminum sprocket? I get that it reduces weight- but shedding a lb. or two doesn't seem like a very big deal on a 500 lb. bike.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

It reduces rotating mass on the wheel. Less work to turn the wheel.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Ahh...was just reading about that with the Power Pures. I guess they're 2 lbs lighter than the rest of the lineup.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
        -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Right, so less work used to turn the wheel means more speed
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

my 46t steel sprocket weighs 3lb 1oz compared to an aluminum that weighs in at 1lb 1oz
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I got an idea , everyone buy a aluminum sprocket kit from me and then post up how it worked for them.LOL
              www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
              Katana Frame Sliders
              The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
              98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
              I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

The other thing thing with the aluminum sprockets besides weight savings, is less chain wear. Steel on steel will wear out a chain much faster then steel on aluminum.

Even though I dont run an aluminum sprocket or a 520 I still lube my chain every couple rides and clean it often. I use chain waxes such as Amsoil HDMP or maxima chain wax.

FWIW I have used both steel and aluminum sprockets on my dirtbike and find the steel last 3X longer and cost less. Im all about saving money when I can.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Normally aluminum is cheaper, easier to manufacter. Not to mention when you use steel it needs to be coated or stainless. Never seen a steel sprocket cheaper than aluminum.
                  www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
                  Katana Frame Sliders
                  The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
                  98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
                  I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

Normally aluminum is cheaper, easier to manufacter. Not to mention when you use steel it needs to be coated or stainless. Never seen a steel sprocket cheaper than aluminum.
                    You ever price JT Steel Sprockets? Bought both 15/47 for under $50.00

Also Aluminum needs to be hard anodized which is a coating so it has some durability.

Tmod
                    Last edited by Tmod; 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                      You ever price JT Steel Sprockets? Bought both 15/47 for under $50.00

Tmod
                      Seriously, no matter where I look steel is cheaper than aluminum...
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by BRAUNSTEIN82 View Post
                        I always thought that was opposite, aluminum is soooo much more expensive to manufacture than steel.
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Steel is stamped. Aluminum must be CNC'd.
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                            Steel is stamped. Aluminum must be CNC'd.
                            Not necessarily so, Here is a quote from JT sprockets.

JT manufactures sprockets the right way, by hobbing, machining and drilling. This is the only proven way to achieve the closest of tolerances and the best teeth profiles. Heat treated and hand finished to perfection
                            I am not posting that as a advertisement but rather to show that not all steel sprockets are stamped.

What is hobbing

Tmod
                            Last edited by Tmod; 09-08-2010, 08:42 PM.

Comment

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

Cheaper sprockets are stamped, interesting that the Wiki article mentions that Hobbing is inexpensive.. when I have a sprocket hobbed it cost me slightly more, I have compared the Hobbed teeth and the CNC'd teeth.. and i cant tell the difference between the two tooth profiles, the only difference that I notice is the surface of the tooth that the Hobbing creates, where the roller touches it, isn't as smooth as the CNC'd tooth face. To me that could translate to added wear, not that it does.. it's just an observation I have made.. I prefer a CNC'd unit.
                                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Working...
                                X