No announcement yet.
X

Who's running 170/60/17's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avon makes a 170/60/17 that recommends a rear 4.5 inch rim.
    I run the VP2 Sport stock front and 170 rear. Improves all around performance for me.

Comment

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
      Originally posted by Dutch GSX600F View Post
      Hey Katanarider can you post a pic of your rear tire in your pre?
      Having trouble getting the video to load. Bare with me.
      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Katanarider, if you have a youtube account you can load it there copy the link at the top of the page, then use the insert link function and the video will be viewable on the post. Took me a minute to figure that one out awhile back lol.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

You all do realize that running a 170 only benefits the looks of the bike right?
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I give up. I cant get Youtube to sign me in. I even tried to create a new account but it will not accept. I'm tired of messing with it !
            Signing off and taking something for a head ache

Comment

I am curently running a bridgestone battlax 180/55/zr17 for about a month now no issues seems to corner way better and looks alot more aggressive than the stock 150 on my 03 kat 600

Comment

Not to criticize but I hope the fact that this is your first post on the forums doesn't reflect your experience riding bikes.

Got a picture or two? I would like to see how much clearence you have from the swingarm.

Comment

That an how badly its mushroomed out.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I will try to get pics up here soon . I have to figure out how i post them on here, do to the fact that i use my phone to surf the site . But as far as clearance i have 3/4 inch on both sides i did how ever have to mod my chain gaurd , which was easy

Comment

With no pics it didn't happen. And in the case of this thats a good thing. 180 on a 4.5" rim... even the tire manufacturers are shaking their heads.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by erichazelet View Post
                        I am curently running a bridgestone battlax 180/55/zr17 for about a month now no issues seems to corner way better and looks alot more aggressive than the stock 150 on my 03 kat 600
                        Why is it that whenever there is a thread like this full of decent advice with sound reasoning and factual basis behind it, some babaca has to barge in and announce that everybody is wrong?!

It's like if somebody is asking about what kind of pistol to buy, and everybody is giving good advice about nice quality pieces, and some douche vomits up a post like "I've got a Hi-Point 9mm and it's awesome...."

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        I was wondering who is running a 170/60/17 rear tire.I just had a Michelin Pilot Power in this size put on my 2006 Kat & it looks great.I rode it for a little while today & it handled great.I could not really tell a differance from the factory 150's.Please list, good or bad any experiances you have had with a 170.
                        I run a 170, on an RF600 rim (4.5"). I don't find it ideal, but it's not bad either. I had to clearance my brake arm for it. Next time around, I'll probably go with a 150, to be honest. A 150 on a 4.5" rim will have significantly more rubber on the road at all normal angles than a 160 or 170..... and since I spend most of my riding time on straight roads (Ohio for ya'), I'd be better suited on a 150.
                        Last edited by loudnlow7484; 07-28-2011, 11:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i was just curious why this thread won't die initially, but now i'm subscribed to this one...the 160 i have on my bike right now has roughly 3/4 inch clearance, just went and measured it. no way will a 180 measure that on a stock wheel and swingarm, just ain't gonna happen. perhaps erichazelet has a modded bike and doesn't know it, or he has a stretched arm and 5.5 wheel, which would easily give that kind of clearance.

eric, if your wheel and swingarm are stock, get that tire off there ASAP, it's just plain dangerous. Tire (and wheel) manufacturers put out those size charts for a reason, it's called safety. Engineers are paid well to figure out what does and doesn't work PROPERLY. Do you really want to second guess guys who develop tires for MotoGP, AMA superbike, and WSBK...based on looks? Performance doesn't count here, I could care less what you say about that. A katana doesn't have the capability(i.e., HP, suspension) to push any tire to it's limit, nor do many katana riders.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                            ...the 160 i have on my bike right now has roughly 3/4 inch clearance, just went and measured it. no way will a 180 measure that on a stock wheel and swingarm, just ain't gonna happen.

Teddy I agree with everything else in your post, but...

I can explain why he has 3/4" clearance with the 180.

Doesn't matter what size tire you put on a 4.5" rim.... the rim is still only 4.5" wide. The tire will flex, the rim will not. So... again doesn't matter what size you put on, the maximum width of the tire is going to determined by that rim, because it will pull the tire edges in.

Kinda makes it pointless to put a larger tire on the rim when it's not even wider than tires 2 sizes smaller...

Huh....

Go figure.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              Doesn't matter what size tire you put on a 4.5" rim.... the rim is still only 4.5" wide. The tire will flex, the rim will not. So... again doesn't matter what size you put on, the maximum width of the tire is going to determined by that rim, because it will pull the tire edges in.

Kinda makes it pointless to put a larger tire on the rim when it's not even wider than tires 2 sizes smaller...

Huh....

Go figure.

Krey
                              Makes perfect sense, thanks for clearing that up Krey...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

erichazelet... don't get frustrated my friend. Even though it may not seem like it we all have your best interest/well being in our thoughts.
                                Stick around and share your experiences.
                                Welcome to Katriders buddy

Comment

Working...
                                X