Chain Lube Brand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you cut wood with your kat's chain?

Comment

Used to use the chain wax, now I'm using the PJ-1. I like it better honestly. Less fling than the chain wax and it's clear which helps for my polished wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
        So you cut wood with your kat's chain?
        When you have more than a few months of riding a motorcycle, much less WORKING on a motorcycle under your belt....let me know.

Until then...,moving on.

Comment

I've been riding a month longer than you or so, but being a longhaul trucker i only ride every couple of weekends...so chances are you've ridden more than I!

That trip i mentioned is 1700 miles round trip, one way would be nuts!!

Anyway, i gotcha. However, i'd rather just oil it when it needs it, myself. pretty easy to tell,
          I can't tell quite as easily, so I rather do it based on numbers and driving conditions (ie. dusty roads).

thats a damn nice looking chain though
          You aint kiddin..

Originally posted by zcphoto View Post
          doesn't anyone use gear oil? that is what is says to use in the manual. i bought some with teflon, it was cheap and seems to do the job. to clean i spray on some simple green (mountain bikers trick) and let it sit for a few minutes and then hose it off. no brushes, no taking off chain to soak etc. with the oil it just doesn't get that dirty.

i have never used wax but it would seem to me that it would be a pain in the @ss to clean the old stuff off. also dirt sticks to it and that is going to wear down the chain/sprockets.
          Yeah, the problem with wax seems to be that since it doesn't fling at all, the dirt stays, so you need to clean the chain every time you lube, and clean it damn good. I have a friend who uses 90 weight gear oil on his R1. I didn't know they made gear oil with teflon, care to share a brand? That might be a good alternative (some heavy gear oil with teflon) to the Dupont chain lube I'm using now. That's probably all it is. Though I'm sure the difference isn't much (if any).

Are you sure simply green won't damage the O rings? (I don't know anything about it)

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
          Actually the application IS THE SAME. The idea is to reduce the wear on a chain from friction, which causes HEAT.

And common sense tells me that a chain saw cutting wood would generate more friction than a motorcycle chain under normal conditions.

But in all honesty, if the Dupont lube wasn't so cheap and easy to get, I'd probably just use WD-40. I hear the horror stories on the internet, but all I have to do is walk down the street to see the guy who has at least a couple HUNDRED thousand miles on motorcycles and all he uses is WD40.

And I had over 20K on my chain / sprockets on the Kat when I replaced them. They honestly didn't need replacing, I had scored a REALLY good deal on a 15/47 setup with RK chain to replace the stock 600 14/46 setup.
          That's some pretty ridiculous riding...never heard of anything like that.. I'd probably just keep using dupont chain lube w/ teflon or gear oil w/ teflon...the latter definitely seems worth while looking into.

Originally posted by RebornKat02 View Post
          Used to use the chain wax, now I'm using the PJ-1. I like it better honestly. Less fling than the chain wax and it's clear which helps for my polished wheels.
          I don't care much about aesthetics. Though chain wax that flings? I thought chain waxes didn't fling?
          '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
          '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
          '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
          '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
          '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

i use!!!!

chain wax at least 1 time every 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              Alcohol also does a great job of destroying a large variety of rubbers. I would suspect it would do bad things to your o-rings in short order.
              Any polyurethane or nitrile rubber would have accelerated degradation with higher caustic liquids. The PH level being high would break down the carbon chains and release nitrogen and break-down the seals on our motorcycle chains.

I have always used kerosene with a 1" nylon bristle brush (cut to about 1/2" length at about a 45 degree angle). Place something underneath the chain and consistently dip/clean the brush as you apply it to the chain while rotating a section at time. Be sure to get all 4 sides clean per section. The grime will drip down, but also use a rag to help wipe of the excess.

Some folks claim they use water to spray clean the chain. Your basically injecting a rusting agent into ANY gaps in your rubber seals.

Lube with motor oil using a similar, but different brush as outlined above. I have yet to replace a chain and have logged well over 10K miles with a chain that looks practically brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat View Post
                Lube with motor oil using a similar, but different brush as outlined above. I have yet to replace a chain and have logged well over 10K miles with a chain that looks practically brand new.
                Yep. I've got 14k on my stock chain and sprockets and the chain is just now starting to show any kind of wear.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat View Post
                  Any polyurethane or nitrile rubber would have accelerated degradation with higher caustic liquids. The PH level being high would break down the carbon chains and release nitrogen and break-down the seals on our motorcycle chains.

I have always used kerosene with a 1" nylon bristle brush (cut to about 1/2" length at about a 45 degree angle). Place something underneath the chain and consistently dip/clean the brush as you apply it to the chain while rotating a section at time. Be sure to get all 4 sides clean per section. The grime will drip down, but also use a rag to help wipe of the excess.

Some folks claim they use water to spray clean the chain. Your basically injecting a rusting agent into ANY gaps in your rubber seals.

45º angle with perpendicular or parallel motion when brushing?

Also, what do you clean with when you use the brush, just kerosene?
                  '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
                  '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
                  '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
                  '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
                  '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

Working...
                  X