X

Exhaust questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust questions

I've been reading for 3 days now on all these different brands of slip on exhausts . I guess I don't understand the mechanics of a motorcycle exhaust because, I would like to know why you can't use any exhaust can on any bike. There are all these sweet lookin short cans out there but none for the Kat. When it comes to putting exhaust on a post 98 Kat the can is HUGE . I have learned tons here about the mechanics and do's and don'ts of mods so I'm sure I will get some great advice on this topic.
    sigpic

good question. there's lots of nice short ones out there that i'd like for my kat. i guess if you got the right tools and know how anything is possible. and $$$ some of them system are mad expensive!

Comment

On the cans that look straight thru, a shorter can would be louder than a same design long can.
      On the quiet designs, the ones you can't look straight thru, a shorter can would often mean higher back pressure.

Comment

^ Ditto all has to do with back pressure I'm pretty sure.
        02' Katana 600
        D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

The quick answer is you can put any race type exhaust can on any bike irrespective of dia or length you can even make your own to suit the style you are looking for

having said that its a little more involved than it at first seems as a short noisy can will affect both back pressure as stated above but also more importantly the scavenge affect of the exhaust which in turn affects the induction of fuel

The length of both the secondary pipes & the silencer itself when altered will affect the engine's performance & a rejet & setup of the carbs will be requiredif you want correct fueling, free flowing air filter's will allow better top end performance too if that is the object of the exercise
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
          X