X

Long Distance Riding Comfort

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Distance Riding Comfort

Anyone want an 06 750 Kat in Virginia Beach?

Tried to go a couple of hundred miles this weekend and wrist and neck hurts. I've had the bike for about six weeks now and can't adjust.

I'm selling and buying an ST1300. It has a small scratch on the left side timing cover on the bottom from where I almost dropped it... It has 1200 miles on it and had the 600 mile maintenance done.

Asking 6700
    2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

If your wrists hurt , you're doing something wrong . Ain't the bikes fault . The neck COULD be you again , but you could also try a different screen .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

there a things that you can buy to put over the grips so that the palm of you hand can rest while riding. You may want to streech before you ride and possibable get a lighter helmet

Comment

Re: Long Distance Riding Comfort

Originally posted by etcthorne
        Tried to go a couple of hundred miles this weekend and wrist and neck hurts. I've had the bike for about six weeks now and can't adjust.
        What was your previous bike, or is this your first one?
        Did you reset the controls to where your arms naturally rest when you first took delivery? Poorly set controls can cause all sorts of misery at the wrists -- as can riding it too slowly (not enough wind hitting you in the chest to support your upper-body weight).

As for the neck issue, that's a helmet & neck-muscles issue. It takes time & riding to build up certain neck muscles most people don't use otherwise... Same will generally be true of any motorcycle that doesn't completely encase you in a wind-bubble from a huge screen.

Also see what the dealer says -- you might get away with only taking a minor hit if you by the ST from the same dealer, provided they are nice

Whatever you do, good luck!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CyberP: Great thoughts.

I traded in a VTX1800C to go to the Kat.

I didn't think about adjusting the levers down somewhat - does seem like they're pointing almost straight out, parallel with the road.

I think I also need to replace the grips with some gel grips or something like that. Also, the suggestion for a lighter helmet is probably appropriate. I have a HJC helmet that is very heavy, at least as compared to my buddy's helmet.

Thanks!
          2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

CyberP: Great thoughts.
            I traded in a VTX1800C to go to the Kat.
            Significant difference in riding position. Pop some Midol PMS formula (will help both kill the pain and relax the muscles some -- muscle cramping is cramping, no matter how you slice it). And do some more miles next weekend...

I didn't think about adjusting the levers down somewhat - does seem like they're pointing almost straight out, parallel with the road.
            Put the bike on the centerstand. Sit on the seat, and stretch your arms out, hands flat, palms down, and rest them on the handlebars. If the lever's aren't in a perfect line-up with the rest of your arms (i.e. - lifting your palms off the bars for example = too high; hanging significantly under your fingers = too low), it's time to adjust them to suit your riding position and personal dimensions. Not everyone has the same arm length, upper-body torso length, etc.
            The easiest way to do it is to locate the two plastic caps in the front of the triple-tree where it holds the tube that is the handlebar. Pop off the caps (fingernail will due), then loosen the two allen-headed bolts and rotate the bar to fit your needs. It will only rotate maybe 5 degrees between min and max with the bolts in place, but that should be enough to get your controls to where you need them. If you need to adjust more, tighten those back down, and move the controls themselves (caution: there is limited adjustment on the controls because of indents in the tube-bar than forms the handlebar).

I think I also need to replace the grips with some gel grips or something like that. Also, the suggestion for a lighter helmet is probably appropriate. I have a HJC helmet that is very heavy, at least as compared to my buddy's helmet.
            Weigh the helmet. A full-face helmet from any of the major brands normally weighs between 2 lbs 12 oz and 4 lbs 2 oz, depending on brand and size. As I said before, getting the muscles used to it is probably more critical than spending another $200 for a marginally lighter helmet (esp. if your helmet already comes in under 3-1/2 lbs), although helmet shape can be critical (I currently own 3 helmets and 4 jackets -- one particular combination of them will induce a bunch of helmet shake/instability because of how the airflow comes off the jacket at speed, but switching either jackets or helmets alleviates the problem).

When you find the right position to sit in, at any speed above at or about 45 mph, you should effectively have zero weight loading on your wrists because of the air hitting you in the chest off-setting your torso weight (this is also much easier on your back). Hunching down/forward can complicate the issue, and I suggest starting to as close to upright as you can manage and still have both hands on the controls (vary to suit yourself once you're moving).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CyberP: I think you are a certified Katana scientist!!!!!!!

I'll try all you suggested and thank you very much. I do love the power and smoothness of the Kat, and as long as I can get comfortable riding it....

Thanks again.
              2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

Comment

Adjustment to controls

You defintely want to adjust the controls. I own both a goldwing and now an 06 750 katana. When I first rode the katana I thought, great, screwed myself, bought a new bike and now I hate it. Well I thought what is it that I dislike...I thought back to my dirtbike days (honda cr250) and did the ol close your eyes and reach for the bars trick. Found that the controls are turned up to high. I adjusted, turned the controls downward (like a dirtbike) yee haw, rode for 4 hours and no pain. The neck, a little sore but nothing major. I recently bought a KBC FFR helmet, great helmet, light, but some wind noise. I still have my shoei helmet and that unit is heavy, don't think I would ride my katana with that hat on. As for the goldwing, pearl white, clean, sitting in the garage waiting for a ride...
                "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

Re: Adjustment to controls

Originally posted by madkatana
                  I recently bought a KBC FFR helmet, great helmet, light, but some wind noise. I still have my shoei helmet and that unit is heavy, don't think I would ride my katana with that hat on.
                  I suggest you wear earplugs for your long-term hearing protection with either helmet. I sell permanent (washable/reusable) and disposable ones I tested for MC use & found extremely good in any quantity you need/want. See the KR Members Specials forums for my offerings.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X