Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anti theft switch hidden up in fairings?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti theft switch hidden up in fairings?

Maybe I'm getting paranoid, or maybe I'd just like more piece of mind that my bike won't be gone when I go to take off in the morning. Now I see that with a screwdriver and some muscle they'll be riding off in no time. What about putting a hidden switch somewhere that opens or closes the starter switch circuit? Something not visible, but I'm talkin bout somethin you may have to reach up into the fairings for. I'd rather come out to a beat up bike that pissed off the would-be thief, than have no bike at all. Maybe it's my liability-only insurance that causes the paranoia, I would be s.o.l.

What size switch would ya'll recommend? I don't think it would have to be really heavy duty, but would obviously have to be reliable and weatherproof. Soldering the connections is a given. Suggestions?

btw, I couldn't really figure out which forum to put this in. oh well.
    '01 TL1000R

You could use any toggle or contact switch designed for all weather use which can sustain the same power as the starter button -- just put it inline with the starter. Know that it won't make a bit of difference if they push start the bike. Alternatively, you could rig up the world's simplest alarm -- a mercury switch which triggers the horn or a siren if the bike is stood up off the sidestand without first flipping an off switch (best to locate the on-off switch under the seat somewhere).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet

PS - you need one of my anchors!
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

dude any switch with some heat shrink wrap do it all the time to help water proof a airsoft gun here at the shop. in the off position no electricity can flow obliously in the on it can..

OR you could rig the switch that the kick stand depresses and when kick stand goes up it activates a siren or horn unless switch to that is turned off...

or u can buy poets anchor

Comment

Not to be a arse or anything, but what if they are not gona start it and take off. What if they are just gona lift it and put it in theback of the truck? Switch would be much help then.

Like I said, not trying to be a arse, just looking at the other side of things.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Brooder, I have a form letter that I send out to landlords/slumlords/management companies/etc. in advance if you, as a tenant, want to install one. Usually the letter does the trick in getting them to permit you to install one, since effectively you are permanently improving the value of their property at no cost to them (especially once I mention that thefts of any sort, on their policy or on tenant's insurance policies will cause their own premiums to increase because it shows an increase in crime rates for their neighborhood/address). It costs nothing to give it a try, as long as you can send me a picture of where you want it mounted with some suitable details on exactly where in the picture it would be placed (this information gets included in the packet to them). Note that it needs to be mounted into concrete, cinderblock or stone-work, and can not be suitably mounted into asphault or wood. A fresh pour of crete at the time of install in a spot currently not utilized for anything would also work. In places where the driveway is asphault, if the curb is concrete, or the edge of the pavement (where the drainage is) is concrete, you can go into that instead (a lot of people overlook curbs and drainage paths as viable install locations).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i feel your pain mystah, i can only get liability for my bike as well (and it's a 7000$ item here).
            Thankfully i'm lucky enough to have a garage with a steel braced door and a good alarm system.
            If i didn't... Then CPs anchor would be pretty high on my Xmas wishlist
            -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

I did that on my MR2, I just wired a switch into the
              fuel injector relay. The engine would crank but not
              start..
              I would wire a switch into the clutch switch, it should have a two wire disconnect (like a turn signal type) under the tank. My pre 750 does.

Comment

Personally I do not think that you need a fancy anchor (Sorry CP I am not trying to rain on your parade). Chaining your bike to any solid anchor such as a post will deter most thieves. They want the quick snatch and go. They do not want to mess around with cutting chains unless your bike is something special. In the end the chain is the weak spot and I would say that most could be cut with a set of bolt cutters.

I read something about Lojack offering a bike unit. It is like RydeBye's idea except that Lojack works with the police. They may be more inclined to follow a tip from Lojack.

Going back to the switch idea you may also want to cinsider a switch inline with the hot lead to the battery. It would be protected under the seat and easy to install.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                  Chaining your bike to any solid anchor such as a post will deter most thieves.
                  Originally posted by brooder
                  I should probably chain it to the post.
                  If there's a solid post, or even a reasonably stable hollow one, by all means, use it! A lot of the college students around here use the various condo complexes' chain link fences & support posts for them for the same purpose... Anything that increases the complexity of moving it...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                    It's easy enough to cut off a seat and replace it. Or pop the lock on the back. If I was going to put in a Nextel, I'd place it somewhere a little more hidden.
                    True, but a theif would only do that if they knew that the switch was there. Again they would not mess with something like cutting a seat because generally thieves do not want to hang around their mark. Plus if they planned on riding the bike away not having a seat will make it more difficult.

As for the Nextel unit that is a benefit of the Lojack unit. It is suppoed to be small enough so you can hide it when you install it.

Comment

I like the James Bond alarm...Brick of C4 under the seat and a proximity/trigger alarm....If I can't keep my bike neither can you...when it blows up 1 less theif to worry about....
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

The point of this is not necessarily just for protection where I park it at night. CP's anchors would look funny at my college, gym, grocery store, and any other place I park the bike at. Also, yes I realize that anything not glued to the ground is prone to theft. Even if a switch offers a hint more protection, but is available ANYWHERE I park the bike, I'm goin for it. I've been looking at those battery lugs that you connect the bike's lead to. It has a knob that you screw in or out and connects/disconnects the battery.
                        Something like this is what I'm thinkin...

Yeah sucks that we don't have battery lugs like that, but anybody know of somethin similar? My only concern is space for it under the seat. Hmmm... what ya'll think.
                        '01 TL1000R

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                            http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/
                            '01 TL1000R

Comment

another way to detour thieves from getting your bike.
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                              X