X

Deadly Sand in North Texas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadly Sand in North Texas

We have a bunch of sand still on our roads from all of the ice storms recently. There have been way too many riders go down here, where I live and some have paid with their lives. One poor guy on a Wing hit some of the sand on a highway bridge and went over the side, without the bike. Another guy on a Wing got broadsided by an 18-wheeler on I-20 and couldn't get control because of the sand. Neither of these guys will ever ride again (RIP).

Another rider on a hog went down in front of me Saturday for the same reason, luckily he was able to get up and I helped him get the bike vertical. A guy that I work with was telling me today about a rider he witnessed go down Sunday. There is no telling how many unreported layovers have happened here recently.

I am riding like Grandma everywhere I go. For anyone riding to North Texas, be careful, at least until we get a good rain to wash the sand away.

UPDATE:
    As luck would have it, it is raining big time today, so please put this thread to rest.
    Last edited by ChrisInTexas; 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM.
    "Emini's are the future"

Texas!?

Think about trying to break the bike out in New England!!

Comment

And this is why I do mods in the winter. Way less tempting to go for an early season ride when the bike's still in pieces!
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
        Texas!?

Think about trying to break the bike out in New England!!
        Exactly, Texas. That is the reason I posted this thread, it is suppose to be close to 80 degrees here this weekend and the roads are still covered with sand/gravel from ice storms a couple of weeks back.

It isn't a competition about who has to deal with the worst weather, it is about trying to warn riders to keep an eye out for unexpected dangers where there is no longer ice or cold.
        "Emini's are the future"

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisInTexas View Post
          It isn't a competition about who has to deal with the worst weather, it is about trying to warn riders to keep an eye out for unexpected dangers where there is no longer ice or cold.
          These types of problems are a lot more serious in aras like TX where most riders aren't normally used to having to watch for stuff on the road. Riders that live in areas that recieve snpw and ice regularly are nomally highly aware if ice mitigation materials, so they know to watch for it. If you rarely or never see snow nd ice, some don't even think twice about it and go out with blinders on so to speak. Good job on the heads up.
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Chris!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho1 View Post
              Good job on the heads up.
              +1
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
              X