X

2001 suzuki katana 600 overheats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 suzuki katana 600 overheats

I just rebuilt the carbs, and the bike runs and idles perfect... But overheats when riding, I have changed the oil/ filter as well...

Could it be a oil pump or and oil cooler clogged? THe sight glass shows no oil when running, and Its got mighty warm the last two times! Oil cooler feels normal but engine feels like its over 300 degrees.... Will burn me instantly if I touch it... It shuts off and takes me and hour to cool down to ride it home again.....

do the header pipes right out of the head turn orange or glow .........you may be too lean on your a/f mixture ......try richening it up

Comment

im with Kybusa. You should have it fixed asap. and when you do fix it change the oil again because its turned bad because of the heat.
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

im 4 turns out on air/fuel mixture.... Why would air fuel mixture cause me to over heat?

Wouldnt a blocked oil cooler or oil pump be the problem?

Comment

anyone that can help me would be great... I took it to petes motorcycles, and they have no clue... They told me to rebuild my carbs... I did before it went in...

Comment

If you are running lean that would cause it to overheat. Pull your plugs and look at them, if they are white it's lean and you probably have a vacuum leak somewhere. Did you use good oil like Rotella T synthetic?
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Your fuel mixture and spark plug heat range are what control the engine temp more then anything.
              Using a good synthetic will help reduce engine temps as well.
              Some like using higher octane fuels, but I would not recommend anything higher then 89 octane for this engine. Running 91 can lower EGT's ( exhgaust gas temps) but it also reduces power and causes carbon buildup as the flash point is to high for efficient combustion on a lower compression engine.

4 turns out sounds like too much ...

If the oil pump or cooler was plugged the engine would have locked up by now.

go back and set it up properly.

New spark plugs (proper heat range)
              NEW oem air filter AND fuel filter
              New synthetic oil and OEM oil filter
              mixture screw, float level, clip position etc.
              Last edited by hardlydangerous; 08-12-2010, 07:35 AM.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
              X