X

Best tires for...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligonetx View Post
    The BT021's stepped out on me at the track(see thread) since I had to be hard on rear tire to keep the front from compressing during hard corners, tight shicanes.

At 28 psi they also heated up and began bubblegumming even in the center; so they have their limits but for street use they are a great touring tire.

Although pricey, when I ride the busa/636/zx7r I recommend the Pirelli Corsa III's. Its a multicompound tire in the rear and single race front. That will be the next choice for the katana. On the busa it was 9k front, 3-4k rear(remember the rear will melt on a 1kcc up bike.)

Otherwise, the BT016 offers a dual compound rear tire and we use that on the zx7r and triumph 675 for track/street.

Security in your tires is the best investment you can make for rides/track days. Thankfully the smaller sizes of tires on these bikes offer cheaper prices. Get your money and safety worth. Goodluck on the decision. Hopes this info helps.
    Just a small edit. the bt016 are tri-compound rear and dual compound front. might be worth looking at. the harder center on the rear will help them last longer and retain their shape. So far they are getting great reviews.

Comment

P/O put bridgestone battleaxes on brand new to me
      tire pressure has always been on but the front tread has started cupping
      not sure why
      wear has been pretty decent other than that , like to be warm for good grip
      not great at near freezing temps but what would I expect
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Don't waste your money on the Battleax tires. If you want a tire for street and track go with the Contis, the 2ct's, or if you can find them the Diablo Corsa III. The Corsas are just sick.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

My two cents:

Although I will always adore the Z6's and the new Z6 InterActs on the Kat, if you can afford it, buy all of them and do your own tire comparo test, then publish up the results. It's what I did a number of years ago and how I came to my conclusions...

Mail order the tires ($650 or so for all of them, on a credit card), work a deal with a local shop to do all the changes for you at a set-a-week (or set-every-other-week) for some low-ball amount (if you tell them you're doing a tire-comparo, someone will be nice to you), and then sell the lightly-used-ones on eBay afterwards (you'll get mail-order pricing back out of them). Total investment: $350 or less, after your eBay recoups, and you'll know definitively what the best tire for your needs were.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            My two cents:

Although I will always adore the Z6's and the new Z6 InterActs on the Kat, if you can afford it, buy all of them and do your own tire comparo test, then publish up the results. It's what I did a number of years ago and how I came to my conclusions...

Mail order the tires ($650 or so for all of them, on a credit card), work a deal with a local shop to do all the changes for you at a set-a-week (or set-every-other-week) for some low-ball amount (if you tell them you're doing a tire-comparo, someone will be nice to you), and then sell the lightly-used-ones on eBay afterwards (you'll get mail-order pricing back out of them). Total investment: $350 or less, after your eBay recoups, and you'll know definitively what the best tire for your needs were.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            lol, you and Chris are ganging up on me huh?

Chris Wilson at 4:09am May 29
            Get 'em all and test them. Let us know which is best.

Jason W. Chen at 9:12pm May 29
            lol@ Chris... how about you buy them all and give me the ones you don't like

Chris Wilson at 10:09am May 30
            I'm deployed so you have the freedom to buy all the tires you want and test them. If I don't the terrorists win.

Jason W. Chen at 3:58pm May 30
            I guess I have to test them all for patriotic reason... God bless America!

sigpic
            2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JasonChen View Post
              lol, you and Chris are ganging up on me huh?
              We're trying to get you to change over from the dark side...
              Go from being one of the guys with questions to being one of the guys with the informed answers

Cheers
              =-= Marc
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Avons

Originally posted by mcmahonm View Post
                Which Avons are you running?
                The front ia a AV45-ST 110/80ZR17 The Rear is AV46-ST 160/60r17

It the best combination of grip and Endurance that Ive found thus far.

A fresh 160 looks pretty good back there & I liked the tread pattern.
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                  We're trying to get you to change over from the dark side...
                  Go from being one of the guys with questions to being one of the guys with the informed answers

Cheers
                  =-= Marc
                  I'll see what I can do.... might not be able to do all the tires at the same time for I don't have that kind of time and money lying around, so I'll just start with one/two set(s) and move onto another one/two the next time. I got my friend at Yoshimura to help me mount and balance the tires for a beer or two
                  sigpic
                  2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JasonChen View Post
                    I'll see what I can do.... might not be able to do all the tires at the same time for I don't have that kind of time and money lying around, so I'll just start with one/two set(s) and move onto another one/two the next time. I got my friend at Yoshimura to help me mount and balance the tires for a beer or two
                    Here's one tip: have the eBay write up done before the tires actually arrive... Shoot me your email address in a PM and I'll send you some text files of eBay write ups I used in the past for tire-comparo tires (you can modify them as appropriate).

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Bridgestone

Battlax have been good for me. Commuted this spring in near 0 temps and where rock solid. Don't know about the track but are good on the twisty roads around here, and so far don't show signs of ware.

Comment

I have the Metzler M-3s and love them and they wear well also
                        sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

for sticky avons i would think but for both road and track longer life the mich. pilot road dual compounds are top notch i have pilot road but not dual compounds and they are great for the dough

Comment

Dunlops GT501

Hey I just ordered Dunlops GT501 (nice sport touring)for my 96 Kat 600, they should be here this wednesday, I ordered from motorcyclesuperstore.com, they have pretty good prices so check it out

Comment

Originally posted by jlozano7 View Post
                              Hey I just ordered Dunlops GT501 (nice sport touring)for my 96 Kat 600, they should be here this wednesday, I ordered from motorcyclesuperstore.com, they have pretty good prices so check it out
                              Bad (Dangerous) choice IMHO.
                              Also possibly very old stock (check the imprint date as soon as they arrive), and definitely not benefiting from any of the newer compound or belting designs out there...

See
                              GT501: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51771
                              AND
                              Why to Never Run Bias Tires: http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php...94&postcount=9

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've not run the Pilot Road 2s on the Kat, but I can tell you of all the tires I have run , these are by far my favorites, and to help matters out, they are wearing like iron. They handle rain really well from just started raining/oil floating to standing water. Ultimate grip doesn't feel like it is there as much as it is on the Z6 or Strada, but plenty is still there especially for street use.
                                Pics
                                Pics
                                No pics yet
                                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                                X