No announcement yet.
X

a wider tire??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why would using a wider rear tire matter if your going to surpass the abilities of the front tire. and if you go wider than the 150 then you will.
    www.disruptstudios.com

Comment

Wide rear tire is mainly for looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Disrupt Studios View Post
        why would using a wider rear tire matter if your going to surpass the abilities of the front tire. and if you go wider than the 150 then you will.
        Not true! the 120/70/17 is a stock size on many bikes, it looks to be the most popular size. many of these bikes have much wider rear tires than 150.

I run a 150/70 rear but on my next tire change, I'll be using a 160/60.
        Last edited by GSXfs600; 11-01-2008, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trueinvasion View Post
          i leaned my bike so low where the bottom of the peg scrapped the road. i guess i dont really need a wide tire. i went as far down as i could possibly go on the stock tire.
          When I had Michelin Pilot Powers, I took a right hand turn so fast that the peg scrape, the center stand scraped and I scraped the exhaust mid pipe. I didn't think I was even going that fast.

No issues with that tire's grip. It was either the 150 or 160 series tire.

When hard parts scrape, then it's time to get off the seat.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
            Not true! the 120/70/17 is a stock size on many bikes, it looks to be the most popular size. many of these bikes have much wider rear tires than 150.

I run a 150/70 rear but on my next tire change, I'll be using a 160/60.
            different bikes have different Rake to compensate.
            sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
            A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckwick357 View Post
              I don't see the correlation between ultimate grip and rake.......

HOWEVER, there is no real point going big on a stock, or stock-ish, Katana. They just don't have enough power to require a big fat tire on the back.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

So uh , why have race bikes always tried to get by with the skinniest tire they can manage ..... Oh yeah , because they take less effort to get turned-in quicker . Plus less weight . Plus less friction to fight . Just kinda thinking out loud here and picturing older race bikes with mountain bike-sized tires .....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                  I don't see the correlation between ultimate grip and rake.......

HOWEVER, there is no real point going big on a stock, or stock-ish, Katana. They just don't have enough power to require a big fat tire on the back.
                  huh, I was meant compsenate for the difference i.e. 180 rear / 20 front vs 150 rear /120 front.
                  sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
                  A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                    Wide rear tire is mainly for looks.

I'm going to change my name to the invisible man.

Comment

mate just keep to the tyre that you want to fit either a 150 or the 160 ,the 160 easier to get hold of more common but people on both sizes will say its the best so go with the flow if you want really big get the swingarm changed and differant wheel fitted and go as big as you want to,

Comment

That is partilly why I try to ask ya'll b4 acting, due to my bad luck...Your thoughts are appreciated
                        02 Kat 750F
                        68 Mercury Cat

Comment

Rake has nothing to go with it!

The only reason I plan on using a 160/60 is because it looks as if Metzeler will no longer make a Z6 150/70 and there future Sport/Touring line will offer a 160/60.

Comment

Back to the tire size. There is no gain. Like I said, for me it's just for looks. I like the somewhat wider tire. It's a preference. And because I can do it.
                            Last edited by Black_peter; 12-13-2008, 02:39 PM.

Comment

example:
                              Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              You can helicoil them it's M7 X 1.0 and it's PERMA coil not helicoil. If you don't tap that hole straight (which you won't) the bolt will not go in straight.
                              next post:
                              Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

this kinda stuff happens EVERY day.

Comment

huh, I was meant compsenate for the difference i.e. 180 rear / 20 front vs 150 rear /120 front.
                                Gotcha, pimpin. I was pretty sure you were trying to say that SS bikes have a steeper steering head angle to quicken up the steering, to account for the wider tire making the bike handle worse.
                                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                                X