X

Went down yesterday.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went down yesterday.

I rode the Kat to work yesterday, mainly because I had lost my car key the night before. I didnt think it would be an issue as the weather channel said there was only a chance of am showers. "ill be fine driving in a light rain this morning" I thought. And I was right! it wasnt bad at all!

It continued to rain intermittently all day, and poured a few times. When three O clock rolled around and it was still raining, I started to get worried.

Luckily, at 3:45 the rain stopped, it heated up and dried the roads. Perfect for me!

I hopped on the bike at 4 o clock, warmed her up and headed out. As soon as I did I noticed what looked like an oddly large number of rainclouds heading towards our shop.

"ill just beat it and get home dry..hehehe" I thought.

Wrong.

I got down the street, took a right on an incline (no problem). It started to sprinkle EVER so slightly, just so that I could barely see dots on my faceshield.

I kept going the way I take everyday to and from work, and when it came time for the extremely low speed 90degree left turn, I hit the brake to slow down.

I hit the brake again.

And again.

The extremely light rain acted like a sheet of ice on the road, and this turn was a death trap. I kept heading towards the guardrail at about 15 mph (I had been trying to stop 20-25 feet before the turn from about 25 mph). I realized it was either hit the guardrail or lay it down and hope for the best, so I hit the footbrake and tried to lay it down as gently as possible (hah).

It worked great, and I avoided the guardrail, curb and all the trees I was worried about. The transmission cover and Kat logo on the leftside took all the damage amazingly, and I kind of "rode" the bike as it slid.

I hopped off and picked her back up, checked out the damage and went on my way.

Of course, 50 feet down the road, the monsoon from hades hit.

luckily....I bought waterproof boots .

anyway, I would advise against taking off the kat logos....mine acted like a mini frame slider and saved me a new paintjob.
    Last edited by LAsunbird86; 06-18-2008, 11:40 AM.

Rain sucks.

Don't ride in the rain and you'll save yourself a lot of problems. I check the weather before I ride and (fortunately, knock wood) I've only been caught once.

Glad you're okay.

Comment

I'm glad to hear you are ok, I try to avoid the rain as much as possible. I only been caught on the rain once and dropped her and cracked the left upper fairing by the turn signal, the sticker didn't help much.

Comment

Glad you're ok and didn't end up any worst. Good lesson learned: It's safer to wait for the torrential monsoon that to ride when it's sprinkling. All of that oil and grease on the road just rises to the top at the beginning of a shower. Best to wait a while for it to wash off (heavy rain or consistent rain over a period of time). Next time pull over until it really starts to come down, then get out in it. Good times!
        sigpic

Comment

those katana emblems were placed by the manufacturers in the perfect spot. I had a laydown last year and they took 90% of the dammage

Comment

yea glad you are ok. my bike has been laid down twice on both sides, haha and both logos are done in. its been raining like crazy here, Ive been caught in the rain twice in the past 2 weeks, try to ride slow
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strom View Post
              Glad you're ok and didn't end up any worst. Good lesson learned: It's safer to wait for the torrential monsoon that to ride when it's sprinkling. All of that oil and grease on the road just rises to the top at the beginning of a shower. Best to wait a while for it to wash off (heavy rain or consistent rain over a period of time). Next time pull over until it really starts to come down, then get out in it. Good times!
              good point its best to ride after the down pour than to ride in the beginning of rain Strom glad to hear thats all well with you and your bike
              sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

glad to here your ok i never like seeing threads that say laid the bike down . but this one turned out ok .ride safe
                sigpic

Comment

Sorry you went down, but glad you're okay. My Katana sticker on the right side helped me initially when I went down last fall, but since I was going 65, it finally gave way and the faring wound up with a hole in it...I lived and was back on the bike two weeks later. Again, glad you're okay.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Nice save, and glad to hear you're fine.

One question though, what kind of tires do you have, and how is the tread??

Comment

Glad to hear you are ok. I have only had to ride in the rain once and it sucked. Luckily i ride in CA and AZ so it really doesn't rain much.

Comment

I dont seem to have issues riding in the rain. I know that I have to slow down and give myself a lot more room for manuevors.

I am glad you are ok but I think it is a good idea for people to ride in the rain. I would purposefully go out in the rain so when I was caught out in it sometime I woudl not freak out and know what to do.
                        I am a Penn State fanatic.
                        Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

You're right the road is just like ice when it starts to rain, like td said all the oil rises to the surface with the rain. It seems like alot of people will avoid the rain like the plauge, but if you have a decent set of tires you should'nt have any problems. I don't mind riding in the rain cause once you get soaked, you can't get any wetter. Plus it builds character. Glad to hear you and the bike came through it ok.
                          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

also helps to ride towards the center f the road (near the yellow line) as there are normally less oils there I find. I tend to slip a little more in the center of the lane and a lot more towards the outside.

Most roads are built with like /\ so that the oils and debris wash off to the shoulder so riding in the center of the road normaly has the best traction
                            I am a Penn State fanatic.
                            Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by KatScratchFever View Post
                              Rain sucks.

Don't ride in the rain and you'll save yourself a lot of problems. I check the weather before I ride and (fortunately, knock wood) I've only been caught once.

Glad you're okay.
                              tsk tsk weekend warriors....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X