X

Balancing tires with B B's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    This was mentioned earlier, and don't believe it's correct. When in motion, the centrifigul force will push the contents against the inside of the tire. The centrifigul force will exceed any forces of deflection from the suspension, thus no "shaking" around... they will remain against the inner surface of the tire.

Krey
    I didn't mean "shaking" as in leaving the surface, rather as just a change in the centrifugal force both at the spot the bead is at and adjacent to it.

For example, imagine a bead at the top of the wheel's rotation, with the wheel deflected upwards. If it then rotates clockwise 90 degrees and the deflection stays near the top, then the bead is no longer at a point of maximum centrifugal force; from its perspective, the tire is sloped towards the top of the wheel (if you think of the inside of the tire as the ground and the centrifugal force as "gravity", the bead is on the side of a hill, and rolling resistance aside, will want to roll downhill). If the centrifugal force it feels is constantly changing, it's like constantly altering the slope and height of the terrain, a kind of "shaking".

Comment

Hey guys I just installed a set of Metzeler Z8 tires tonight and I didn't get the light spot of the tire lined up with the valve stem on the front wheel.

Well without wheel weights I got a noticeable vibration at 120km/h.

I'm gonna order another set of dynabeads and see how they work again.

Here is a neat video for the skeptics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eq263AYgyYg

BTW I was amazed at how easy it was to change the tire with a set of spoons!
      Last edited by BareKat; 08-20-2013, 10:41 PM.
      2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
      2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
      1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
      1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Results? Less vibration for sure but definelty needs to be corrected. Under 100km/h the bike is really smooth but I'm sure it's the new tires as opposed the the dynabeads.

I'm going to break the bead on the tire and rotate the red dots to line up with the valve stem and see how that goes. (leave the beads in)

Below are the only tools needed to swap the tires. p.s. I used an ice scraper to break the bead... just placed the scaper on the tire sidewall, then balanced the scraper with one foot and then stepped onto the scraper with the other foot. Easy peasie
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BareKat; 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM.
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I like your rim protector!

Comment

Thanks... not like I'm really worried about a few marks in the rim on an 8yr old bike with 67K kms.

BTW, I might have to revert back to my snake oil statement...
            Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
            I like your rim protector!
            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
            X